Murder in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
After sone strange deaths in the tank, we finally caught this creature -- whatever it is -- in the act. Don't know how he managed to catch fish, but he did, apparently at night when they were still.

Here is another picture of it from underneath, climbing the glass. Anyine have any idea what it is? Some form of sea urchin, I guess.

It kind of looks like a pencil urchin? I don't know how an urchin could have caught a fish. Are you 100% that this guy actually killed the fish, just because it was feeding on the remains does not necessarily mean it did the killing.

Not sure, but he was found attacking a Mexican turbo snail after we had several fish and a shrimp unexplainably die. No symptoms, water problems, etc., just dead the next morning, one with some unidentified creature on him. Then this guy shows up going after a big snail. I hoped that was the answer, because I could not figure out anything else.

Of course, my main form of exercise is jumping to conclusions.

I have put it in another tank that is still cycling, with high nitrites. If y'all are sure he is not the culprit, let me know so I can put him back in the other tank before he succumbs to the nitrites.

My bride will not be happy. She is sure he is the killer.

Looks like a pencil urchin to me also, but I would be surprised if he was the culprit.

Kaye

Definitely a pencil urchin, how did he show up in the tank unexpectedly would be my question?

Pencil urchins are largely carnivorous and can catch and eat "sleeping" fish and shrimp. They are not good choices for aquariums with such so while it is a shame it has to be banished to nitrite land, it is probably the culprit in your tank.

Pencil urchins just eat stuff that's left over and they are actually classified as herbivores. They are not known for attacking things. And they're just too slow to catch anything that is alive and mobile.

Please be careful, the pencil urchin become toxic/venemous when they die and are sensitive to water changes.

As far as your creatures dying, something else is going on for this to happen. :( The pencil just cleans up.

Have you checked ALL basic params (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, salinity, no temp fluctuations, outside chemicals, etc?) Any drastic temp swings? Salinity very low/high? Is the tank very young? Do you have a skimmer going? Is there a bunch of new inhabitants/liverock? What is the capitol of Zimbabwe?

All kidding aside I would worry the least about that urchin and be most concerned about the real cause of your livestock deaths. 8O

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rs/

I have never had one to testify what they have and have not eaten, however Dr. Ron does not list them as herbivores.

Undesirable Species

Pencil Urchins

Eucidaris tribuloides (Caribbean)
Largely carnivorous; will eat many decorative animals, also can eat “sleeping” fish, or shrimp.

Eucidaris metularia (Pacific)
Largely carnivorous.

www.wetwebmedia.com also classifies them as being carnivorous:

Hi again, I was told by the lps that a pencil urchin which i already bought only eats algae and sometimes coralline algae.
<neither is true at all... although more urchins than not do eat microalgae nicely. The pencil urchin is too often sold for algae control and it starves instead in most aquaria... it has decided carnivorous inclinations.

I have not read that common pencil urchins have any significant toxin if at all. They are known to be extremely safe even if killed or dead in aquaria regarding some so-called toxin. Keep in mind though, that this is one of the few Urchins that is not largely herbivorous! They need meaty fare to survive>

Take the information for what it is worth.

No fault of yours snapcrackler, you found it by reading!

I've had issues with these online retailers before with their crappy info (I am guessing this by the agreement of the two other "scientific" sources) so I rarely follow any care information from them.

One of my biggest peeves is the Drs. sites (liveaquaria, etc.) that all have the exact same picture for puffers' D. holacanthus and D. hystrix which are COMPLETELY different fish. :evil: :wink:

I"m also very cautious of vendor's info, I think they rarely fully disclose the bad qualities to avoid losses in sailes of certain animals.

This fellow came in on some live rock, as did another one I have found, and the wife thinks she has seen something else even larger move during the night. The first urchin's body is about the size of a marble, with spines extending perhaps 3/4" out from there. The second one is smaller.

Pencil urchins are largely carnivorous and can catch and eat "sleeping" fish and shrimp.
kudos. after some research i agree. good call. i would have never thought that urchins are carnivorous. and to think that i could have bought an assassin. pencil urchins look cool

Great posting! I had Pencil urchins on my livestock wish list... guess i'll pencil them out... ..... ....... ........ anyone? ...... .......... ............

We used to have pencil urchins until they decided to devour the mushrooms in one of our tanks. Pencils no more!! Have had better luck with the Christmas urchin (green and reddish pink). Very active - very nice to look at.

Stacy

Snap I am sorry I just can't resist....LoL

Zimbabwe's capital was renamed Harare after Independence in 1980

Doan

You the man! LOL

And speaking of urchins, check this little tidbit out:

Had a hitchhiker urchin on the last batch of liverocks.com rocks, jet black with pointy spikes (I never bothered to ID him)

But anyway he grew from the size of a pea to about 1" across including spikes.

The other night I looked where he normally drives around and there was a big pile of spikes and no urchin.

Methinks one of the humongo-crabs peeled his spikes off and made him a meal.

Back
Top Bottom