Murder mystery!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpb1216

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought fish 3 days ago.. Just some danios. And i have a few goldfish already in the tank. Everyday since I bought the danios I have been finding dead ones on the intake of my filter. I noticed that at night all the fish go towards the intake since the current of the out on my filter would push them around while they slept. Could the filter be sucking them in as they sleep? I test my water and got it tested at three LFS and it is fine. What is happening!?

I bought fish 3 days ago.. Just some danios. And i have a few goldfish already in the tank. Everyday since I bought the danios I have been finding dead ones on the intake of my filter. I noticed that at night all the fish go towards the intake since the current of the out on my filter would push them around while they slept. Could the filter be sucking them in as they sleep? I test my water and got it tested at three LFS and it is fine. What is happening!?

My guess would be a goldfish did it. It could be the filter, but for some reason goldfish hate danios. That and danios are too quick for the filter.

Or it could be the water level... Ammonia could be high as goldfish pee out so much of it. Weather attacking or peeing its the goldfish

Your danios could easily be being sucked up during the night. You should get something to cover the intake, some sort of mesh.

How big are your goldfish? If the danios can fit in their mouth they could possibly get eaten but as your finding them in your filter i wouldnt of thought the goldfish are to blame.

Danios are 'tropical' fish but can be kept with goldfish depending on where abouts in the states you live, in warmer states danios can be kept without the need for a heater so can be mixed with goldfish but i wouldnt. How big is your tank?

Stupid gold fish. I will get like a pre filter sponge and maybe another tank for my little brothers to put the goldfish in. The one fish I never researched was goldfish. I just figured hey the are goldfish. I put them in the tank to see if they survived before putting in my real fish. Cause sometimes those stupid little color testers you gotta match up are just hard to read.

Your danios could easily be being sucked up during the night. You should get something to cover the intake, some sort of mesh.

How big are your goldfish? If the danios can fit in their mouth they could possibly get eaten but as your finding them in your filter i wouldnt of thought the goldfish are to blame.

Danios are 'tropical' fish but can be kept with goldfish depending on where abouts in the states you live, in warmer states danios can be kept without the need for a heater so can be mixed with goldfish but i wouldnt. How big is your tank?

I agree as well. If your simply finding the new danios dead, the goldfish are not to blame. The goldfish would simply eat them whole if they got ahold of them. Your filter may be to blame (simply cover it) but theres also the issue that you likely introduced the danios without quarantining them first and they are simply dying from an unknown disease issue or poor stock. There are quite a few members here that keep danios successfully with goldfish as danios can tolerate cooler temperatures. If you have not researched goldfish and their care, heres a link you may find helpful:

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

It's 100 gallons. And I bought some pre filter foam. And the goldfish are only 3 inches max and the danios are 1". And I'm finding there bodies on the intake with no signs of physical damage

You really should try to rehome one of these fish. Goldfish get very large especially the single tailed variety 12+ inches. These type of goldfish do great in an outdoor pond.

As these goldfish grow your water levels with start to deminish unless you get some sort of super filter or constantly have freshwater coming in.

I would suggest quarentineing the next danios before introducing them to your tank. If you dont its an easy way to invite illness's into your healthy tank.

Back
Top Bottom