Murky Water Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay i went upstate for a day and came back. I changed my filter and added a box filter did a 20% water change with gravel cleaner at 6:30pm its now 10:30 my water is foggy but not much. I know it gets like this when i siphon but will this go away when i get up or No?

You "changed your filter"? You just took your filter out? Didn't keep the old media? It could have been a bacterial bloom, but why don't you just wait till tomorrow morning to see if it's clear? If your water stays murky for a long time, then you should be worried.

Oki well the tetra whisper i have i was running w/o the carbon (only sponge) and the box filter had carbon mixed with gravel and sum filterfiber. I bought the carbon for the whisper and i removed the old filterfiber and used new ones i left the old media but i have the box filter buried alil under my gravel (so it sits proper) so im guessing that i shook up the old particles the Vac didnt pic up and now is suspened in the water?

WHat filter did you orginaly have? ANd part of it could be jsut stuff you knocked up. My water stays clear when i do my water changes.by filter do you mean filter cartigae or the filter itrself.

Ah I gotcha, I think you'll be fine, just let us know how it looks in the morning. You're in new york, it's 11... go to bed and stop worrying :)

You "changed your filter"? You just took your filter out? Didn't keep the old media? It could have been a bacterial bloom, but why don't you just wait till tomorrow morning to see if it's clear? If your water stays murky for a long time, then you should be worried.

+1. Also, you don't necessarily need carbon unless you are trying to take out medications and the like. You should not just switch the filter out, just take it out and rinse it in old tank water (not literally in your tank though) and it should be good for a lonnnnnng time.

Well im going to take out the carbon from the box filter and use either the ceramic cylinders or gravel along with the filterfiber whisper cartridges come with the carbon so im at a loss there

Right, that's fine too. I think you have to remove it if you dose with certain medications but that's a whole different convo. I have filter cartridges with carbon in them as well.

Hopfully it clears i will post back in the morning (if it is a bacterial bloom what should i do)

Uh, someone else is gunna have to chime in on that one, I don't really know. :D I think water changes and reduce lighting, but I'm just guessing here.

Well im at a loss here idk what happened but my readings are normal and everything only thing i can guess is the light on my hood is causing this color

Are you saying that it didn't clear up? What "color" are you talking about? Is it still just foggy? It can't be your light that causes it, it has to be something in the water REFLECTING the light.

i think the cover over the lights are making the water look foggy when i lift th ehood off the water is pretty clear i might remove the bulb covers and see how it looks

OH the bulb COVERS... OOOOOO I see. Maybe they're just dirty? I dunno, I still think it'd have to be somethin in the water. Try cleaning them and see how it looks.

Nope no luck i might just paint the bulb covers blue i think its just reflection hopfully the blue covers will make it look alittle better

Ok the bulb covers are blue now aparently the covers were giving off the milky lookthe tank looks much better and suttle

Back
Top Bottom