my 10 gallon Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 6 lbs of live rock (wet) from LFS yesterday. I plan on mixing it with about 6 lbs of DIY rock I made and have been soaking for 3 weeks (regular daily water changes).
Will then be curing it in a 5 gallon pail (covered) with instant ocean saltwater mix using my top fin heater & my maxijet 400 powerhead.
I will change the water once every 4 days and do regular testing for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH.

Once it reads all good (0s - ammon & nitrites) 8.2-8.4 pH, will be adding it to my tank with 2 inches of CaribSea live sand. I have a API 5-20 superclean filter for this setup and my light is an LED with a good marineland bulb.

Once the substrate settles, the tank should be ready for fish?? Or do I have to "cycle" the tank with ammonia first?
Was thinking of putting 1 damselfish or 1 ocellaris clownfish in it when ready. :thanks:

Put all the rock and sand in the tank (with saltwater) as it cures it will cycle the tank Just test so you can be sure things are going well then a large water change and your ready for fish

Uhm...

that's what I thought too, but the LFS guy (has amazing saltwater tanks) told me that I should cure all the rock separately for at least a few days before putting them in my "main" tank.

But if you think I should just load the tank and cut off those days.. I can do that too. What is the best way to mix "Instant Ocean" salt mix? The bucket says it practically instantly dissolves, but it sure didn't when I mixed it for my curing :confused:

Oh.. I conditioned my tap water with Seachem Prime prior to adding the salt... would that make it harder for the salt to dissolve? :facepalm: :eek:

that's what I thought too, but the LFS guy (has amazing saltwater tanks) told me that I should cure all the rock separately for at least a few days before putting them in my "main" tank. But if you think I should just load the tank and cut off those days.. I can do that too. What is the best way to mix "Instant Ocean" salt mix? The bucket says it practically instantly dissolves, but it sure didn't when I mixed it for my curing :confused: Oh.. I conditioned my tap water with Seachem Prime prior to adding the salt... would that make it harder for the salt to dissolve? :facepalm: :eek:
Cycle :
Why would you cure all the rock just to cycle it with the tank ?
If it's DIY rock it takes longer soaking to get the lime out of the Portland concrete used ?
And to dissolve the rock salt ?
Next salt mix :
I find it easier to add the salt first then water on top .
Adding the salt to the water makes it harder to mix and properly dissolve .

I dont see the need to cure the rock twice (cure then cycle) I'd stay away from tap water better to use RO from a machine (That Blood shrimp would look so cool in my tank) Better to let the salt mix for 12-24 hours before use even though it says safe to use in minutes it takes a while for the ph to settle.

ok then

I have premixed 20 gallons of salt with bottled water in a tub and put in air to mix for future use. Also switched my LR (& DIY rock) back to my tank with 1
and a half inches of live sand. It is all running smoothly, now to wait and test, wait and test some more & then some more!
All suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom