My 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. Here are a few shots of my tank. It ain't great but it's coming along pretty well. Got some Rotala macrandra today. This is a beautiful plant. At 3 WPG I hope I can grow it. Am diffusing my CO2 into my HOB again. The red sea diffuser keeps leaking big bubbles of CO2 so I got mad and tossed it! Not known for my patience! Gotta get a bigger tank! Can't get many more plants in here!Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. Couldn't have done it without you.

Nice tank. I like what you are doing with the fore- and mid-ground.

Thanks guys! Need help with the background. The greenhygro is nice but grows fast and tall. I am trimming it hard to try to get it to bush up a bit. Absolutly love the rotala macrandra. Much needed colour in this tank. Have kinda put in one corner till I see how it does. Any suggestions on this plant besides high light? Really want this one to make it. Any other background plant you guys would recommend for a ten gallon? Thanks again.
Glen

Other Rotalas are cool. R. macrandra "narrow-leaf" and R. rotundifolia looks sweet by R. macrandra, I think (I can take a pic tonight if you want). R. rotundifolia and its variants have nice color, and the leaf shape makes 10gals look bigger than H. polysperma does. I am no aquascaper, but think maybe no stem plants behind or to the left of the wood, and a solid background behind the tank to hide wires could look very interesting. Just ideas: your layouts are much better than mine :)

FWIW, I failed with my first attempt with R. macrandra, and this time am growing it pretty decent, knock on wood. The only tricks I think are high CO2, and ditching the bottoms keeps the branching while keeping the nice tops. You may want to ask in the planted forum; if I remember correctly, Travis has lots of experience with it, and he may miss this thread. He also has a gift for layering plants Dutch-style while featuring dramatic driftwood and rocks in his tanks, Nature-style, and surely has more insight than this post. HTH

Thanks czcz. I think a solid background would do the trick. I have enough plants for now. Having said that, I am getting some sunset hygro from wizard of oz tonight. I'll put that in with the other Hygro I have now. Should give me a good mix of colour. Also added another DIY light fixture. Have 4 WPG now. Got em from Home Depot for 9 bucks each. Gonna post how I did it later. Should grow those high light plants now. Hope I don't toast the low light ones! Time to sit back and watch. This tank is only a month old and has lots of filling in to do.

Nice, thats one of the best 10g I have seen. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom