My 125G SW tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Na, the Kenya tree is gone to.
I don't care to much about that, have about 15 or more.
Got a new skimmer yesterday, $160 for the Coralife 220.
Anyone have something good or bad to say about this one.

Today finally installed my new CSS, Thanks for all the valuable feedback on this skimmer.
Maybe no one on this group used one of this before.
So here is what I can say about it.

Look great, even some review say it's made of cheap plastic, I don't think that, construction feel solid and quality. :)

Setup was easy, ready to go out from the box.
All parts included, manual clear and easy to follow.

Will need some time to break in, the manual suggest 72hr other review say more like close to 1 week or more.

It's generate very fine micro bubbles, and a lot of them ;)

Bubble trap is a bit tricky, after some more reading got it working.

The venturi injector a bit sensitive for the water level changes, one more reason to install the auto top of valve.

Listed for $319 CAD, got it for half price on boxing day.
I have not used any of the HIGHLY priced PRO skimmers, but I don't believe the Deltec "what the store sales person HIGHLY recommended" for $559 on sale will be that much better. Than even if is so much better, who would by a skimmer for $800+, honestly what is that unit can do for that price, skimm :rolleyes:. Than again some of us drive a BMW some of us drive a FORD. I like Ford, all my truck was and will be a Ford.

I guess I have wondered away a bit, anyway.

Go get one of this if you need a inexpensive skimmer.
Coralife Super Skimmer 220.

My rating is 7 ot of 5 :D

Here is some picture after 2hr of running time.

dscn0340p.jpg

dscn0341z.jpg

dscn0342r.jpg

Glad you like the CSS, but in all reality, the skimmer is not worth the price even you paid. It only seems good if you never used a good skimmer. 20 yrs ago I used a air stone driven skimmer. I thought that worked great until I bought a Prism skimmer. I thought the Prism was good until I bought a CSS. I thought the CSS was good, except for the occasional floods, until I bought an Octopus (which cost less than the CSS).

Great.
You could wrote this b4 I install it, scratch the collector cup, trim the return line.
I had it for a 5 day !
Octopus for less than $160CAD where ?
I have 150G water, so most of the smaller inexpensive unit out of the question.

Classic :: Reef Octopus :: Skimmers :: Reefing Life
Vortex :: Reef Octopus :: Skimmers :: Reefing Life
Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer - - Reef Octopus Extreme 200 Protein Skimmer
Reef Octopus Pinwheel Protein Skimmer 150 Gallons - eBay (item 350254784877 end time Jan-17-10 13:01:39 PST)

And all of this comes with $30-$70 Shipping.:mad:

Not a single one under $200, most are over $300.
My first skimmer was $80 CAD, and skimmed very well, I need it to replace because I broke the Venturi inlet.

So what else you would buy other than Octopus ?
Something what I can buy for a reasonable price and I can pick them up in the local store !

I have visited a few here in Edmonton, a: they are not carrying anything worth to buy, b:just way to expensive, most are over $500 CAD, they have unreasonable high markup, online store sale something for $40 they sale it for $120, %300 mark up.
They say "no, this is not the cheap Chinese stuff, its made in Italy", then you flip the box and it say "Assembled in CHINA", or better "Designed in USA, Made in CHINA"

Most of them refuse to stock popular items or the same brand since every other store will have it, online store here in Canada are awefull, cant get anything wo paying half of your purchase price for shipping.

..... but in all reality, the skimmer is not worth the price even you paid......

No argument here, I don't think they worth more than $20, but I understand the rice price is going up.

I too don't think these skimmers are worth what they charge for them. In fact, I don't think what they charge for most of the stuff in this hobby is worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks

Saltysupply.com wants $107 for shipping, the other two looks promising.
Now just need to figure out if the store take this back from me or not !

After 3.5 hr of arguing and negotiating I got the OCTX-160 skimmer.
$350 CAD, I guess cant get better/cheaper than that.
If you guys have anything to say about this one say it now or be silent for ever :)

dezso:

Release date:May 16 2009
OCTX-160 New cone design
Type: Direct Needle Wheel
Installation: Insump
Dia: 160mm Height: 530mm
Foot Print: 230×170mm
Pump: 2500L/H 30Watts (Sicce-Italy)
Impeller: Pin Wheel
Air Intake: 22 LPM per pump
Normal stocking: 1500L
Heavy stocking: 1000L

OCTX-160-CONE.jpg

+1. Everyone I know is switching to that skimmer. Both my lfs are getting big shipments because everyone likes them.

Since this model is in-sump skimmer I installed in the first chamber of my reefugium where the water drains from the overflow. This time it's a lot of exess bubble comes ot from the outlet, in the same chamber I have 2 layer of foam filter. Is this micro bubbles will effect the biological filteration of the foams?

dezso:

it shouldn't effect it in any way. i like the fact that skimmer has a small footprint compared to my ASM g3.

Definitely nice to have a small footprint, after placing this one in the reffugium I see not a lot of place left, a bigger unit could cause some problem for placement.
I love the way they installed the pump under the unit, it so much neater then leave it hanging on the side.

Hello again..

I'm having hard time to find money to buy a new camera, the one I'm using is a 9 year old Nikon 995.

Anyway here is a few new picture, currently I'm really happy the way thing's grow and the water quality close to be where I want it.
The new skimmer works great, thank for all the feedback.

wdscn0366.jpg

wdscn0371.jpg

wdscn0376.jpg

wdscn0377.jpg

wdscn0378.jpg

wdscn0379.jpg

wdscn0397.jpg

wdscn0393.jpg

Ohhh yes my sump, here is a great picture I shot today.

Cant figure it what cause it, the water chemistry A+, the skimmer output is completely clean, it just generate a extensive amount of wet foam, even when the drain is completely open.

Back to your req, I will make some pictures later from the sump.

dscn0405q.jpg

Back
Top Bottom