My 20 gallon long, lighting, and advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! In my attempts to set up a twenty gallon long planted tank I have come across some problems. Once again I come to you pleading for knowledge.
I love swords... Amazon swords mostly. I have two larger ones and two or three smaller ones. Once upon a time they had beautiful leaves but over time they have become brown and transparent. I also love dwarf sag I have four or five plants that maintain but do no real growing :( I thought these were low light plants:/ I have only a single t8 bulb. Planning on getting another. But I might be considering another? For substrate I just have black gravel and for inhabitants I have an ugly guppy a danio (both which I rescued from a ten gallon on the side of the road) and right now a Bolivian ram (small sized, he will be going to the 125 sooner or later) I want to get this baby back and growing:/ do I need to dose? Is two t8's enough? Should I get some LEDs? I have a pretty good budget but I would prefer lower cost as most would. Any other info needed will be provided promptly. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The finnex planted plus led. It's an awesome light for the price. Look on amazon. I have had it 5 months and my plants love it. Great color spectrum with the red and blue LEDs. My dwarf sag has been going crazy with runners since I got this light. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405606099.312475.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405606116.546434.jpg

I started with only 5 dwarf sag and in the last two months I now have like 25 little plants. I do not have co2. I do dose metricide 14 as glut and seachem excell , and api leaf zone. Do you have root tabs in your substrate ? That's pretty important especially for swords and dwarf sag.

Do you use root tabs? How long the lights on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't dose, I did get some root tabs about a week ago! Anyone know a good online provider?
I've been taking a look at that finned plus light, looks pretty awesome, one is all I'll need?
I don't use co2

.....I should get timers. Since I have such a dim light I have been leaving it on for long periods of time, bad idea? Twelve hours usually...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes you would only want one on that tank. My tank is 58 gallons and 20 inches deep and it gives me plenty of light. 2 of them on your tank with no co2 would be an algae farm. Check out mebbids diy root tab thread on planted forum. I starting using them a month ago and my swords are really liking them by the way new growth looks. If you were to switch to an a
Led like the planted plus you will need to at least dose a liquid carbon source such as metricide 14 or seachem excell.

12 hours is way to long. Try around 8 hours with that low light. 6 hours with an led

Back
Top Bottom