My 29 gallon! Final (almost) product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my 29 gallon. :)

I got it off CL, and many of you kind people have been helping me relentlessly through my journey of getting it up and going. So... Hopefully you enjoy seeing some pictures if it up and going.

I got through the cycle... I got my t5HO fixture... I got my plants and wood. I got my algae eating team going hard at work (6 amanos, 5 nerites, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 baby SAE, 2 ottos- 1 just died today... He was wedged in my red sea co2 bio generator... :( )
Other than a small amount of algae on the glass... I love it.. Well I love it anyways.

My "centerpiece fish" are cardinal tetras which I have 12 of.. Plan on getting more- the tank seems barren haha. However-- would this be overstocking? All of my inhabitants have a relatively small bioload?...

Anyhow... Here's pics! I have some experimental carpeting going on- some HC and dwarf hairgrass... Just hoping that something will take off! Let me know what you think the chances are?

Attachments

• image-2203756492.jpg
    image-2203756492.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 201
  • image-921704078.jpg
    image-921704078.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 167
  • image-3658262925.jpg
    image-3658262925.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-4081992737.jpg
    image-4081992737.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 163
  • image-2189452960.jpg
    image-2189452960.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 160
  • image-3841712421.jpg
    image-3841712421.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 163
beautiful! I think you could add a few more tetras without much issue...

Thank you so much fort! Your opinion really means a lot to me! I really look up to you and your awesome experience, and I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that.

What do you think the likelihood of me getting some sort of carpet to grow is in this tall tank with 48w t5ho and 2 DIY co2s running? :/

Well, I think microsword (lilaeopsis brasiliensis) would work well. Hairgrass would live, but I don't think it would spread so fast. HC Would also live just fine, but you wouldn't get the compact growth you are looking for. So, lowest maintenance option for your medium/medium high light imo is the lilaeopsis. I got compact growth from HC in a 29 only after I doubled from 48 to 96W of T5HO.

Oh my goodness. Wonderful. I'm cursed by the height of my tank. Haha. :/ ... Maybe a miracle will happen. I think I have a few strands of microsword in there actually... I really wish the hairgrass would grow. Or something! :) oh well... That's part of the fun is trying different stuff out. Thanks for the help!

No problem. I think the DHG will survive. It just wont grow really quickly (well it may grow UP, but not OUT so fast).

Maybe I missed it, what substrate did you go with?

Oops! I have black fluorite covered with a bit of black sand... I have Eco complete in my 10g now after a recent revamp... And I must say I think I like the Eco complete better... But blah... Whatever. They're both fine

Yup, both are good. The plant substrates really do make a difference though... but they are by no means required for success.

Yeah. I figured using them would make it easier on a noob like myself. I need all the help I can get! I must say though... J think a lot of my plants would grow in a fridge... They're like way hearty! Especially my aponogeton. Look at that thing, it looks like a kelp jungle or something... I love it, but it grows so fast, however I seem to be having trouble with my java fern... It's hardly grown at all.. Maybe a bit of rhizome expansion, but not much size difference since I got it a month ago. And my Anubia looks pitiful too... Well not really pitiful, I hear they grow slowly

One last nooby question and I'll stop bugging you guys... But I have little brown looking pellets everywhere! Could I possibly be from my driftwood? Or are they seeds?... What are they? They litter my aquarium substrate and are in some of my java moss

Attachments

• image-3545049457.jpg
    image-3545049457.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 116
Anubias are really slooooow.

Java fern in my experience... It takes a while to adjust to a new tank. Once it settles in, it will grow like crazy. I went from about 2 starts to 20 plants in 6 months (and I am sure I shipped a bunch more out to a lot of folks). That was my experience anyway.

I have seen people report that they actually grow better under low light than higher light... but I am not sure I buy it. Mine went nuts under 96W of t5ho.

The plants are hardy 'cause you have given them everything they need to thrive!! It makes it easy when you do it right ;)

Well thank you! I try to care for my plants and fish equally. Just bought some aquatic tissue scissors, so there are some haircuts in order. They need it!

Thank you very much! I'm new to all this but I tried my best at the aquascape. I'm sure some different color plants would be good, but I think it's fine now.

Thank you thank you thank you! I still think it'll look better with a bit more fish! Kinda barren now

You did a fantastic job!! I think it looks amazing :) hope mine comes out half as well

Corbo said:
Thank you thank you thank you! I still think it'll look better with a bit more fish! Kinda barren now

Maybe some more color? Though I'm not sure what to suggest...

I hope that my cardinals plump up and get more red. I didnt buy them full grown. And also my SAE should get bigger... I've pondered 4-5 more cardinals. I don't think I have room for any any big colorful fish.

Back
Top Bottom