My 30L tank is FINALLY cycled!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. After 32 days my 30L tank is now fully cycled. ammonia and nitrites are zero after less than 24 hour intervals. Just dosing it with 1 ppm at the moment until next weekend. I am away next week so I have to wait until next weekend to get fish :(

Just a few questions to all you experts out there:
1. I have to change my gravel to sand as I am getting pygmy or dwarf corys. A few people have told me that my gravel is not fine enough for them. I thought that the best way to do this is remove gravel and put sand in when I'm doing my big 90% water change the day before I get the fish? I would have loved to put the sand in this weekend but cant figure out how to do that without taking out most of the water.

2. I have decided to get my male betta and the 4 pygmy/dwarf corys at the same time. Any extra advice on how to introduce them into the tank, eg. who do I put in first?

3. Any suggestions on food for the corys and betta? I have some small discs at the moment but they wont sink which I gather wont work with the corys?

4. If I do have a few extra bucks and I can get the aquaclear filter, can I transfer my filter wool and ceramic noodles straight from my corner filter?

That's all for now. Im sure I will be back with more beginner questions during this week.

Have a good weekend everyone

Hello everyone. After 32 days my 30L tank is now fully cycled. ammonia and nitrites are zero after less than 24 hour intervals. Just dosing it with 1 ppm at the moment until next weekend. I am away next week so I have to wait until next weekend to get fish :(

HOORAY!! Great news!!

1. I have to change my gravel to sand as I am getting pygmy or dwarf corys. A few people have told me that my gravel is not fine enough for them. I thought that the best way to do this is remove gravel and put sand in when I'm doing my big 90% water change the day before I get the fish? I would have loved to put the sand in this weekend but cant figure out how to do that without taking out most of the water.

Just go ahead and do the change now. The bacteria isn't in the water. You'll just need to do another WC before you actually get the fish. Dose the tank with ammonia again after you do the WC to swap the sand, since you'll be taking it all out.

2. I have decided to get my male betta and the 4 pygmy/dwarf corys at the same time. Any extra advice on how to introduce them into the tank, eg. who do I put in first?

I think it won't matter, but cories first to be safe. Others may have other opinions.

3. Any suggestions on food for the corys and betta? I have some small discs at the moment but they wont sink which I gather wont work with the corys?

I give my cories Hikari Sinking Catfish Wafers and they nom them right up!

4. If I do have a few extra bucks and I can get the aquaclear filter, can I transfer my filter wool and ceramic noodles straight from my corner filter?

Absolutely, and you should!

Just a few questions to all you experts out there:

That's all for now. Im sure I will be back with more beginner questions during this week.

Have a good weekend everyone

1. Go ahead and do a water change and replace the gravel with sand. The BB lives mostly in the filter. :)

2. I would put the cories in 15 minutes before the betta, at least, because the betta is far more aggressive and more likely to claim too much (or even all) of the tank's territory.

3. I couldn't give you specific brands, but as Threnjen said, Hikari sinking pellets are commonly suggested. Also, almost all fish appreciate frozen bloodworms; they are cheap and easy to store as well.

4. Yes you can! :)

Thanks so much guys for your time and advice!
Will go ahead and change gravel to sand this weekend and keep dosing 1ppm every day until I get the fish next weekend.

Im driving about 40 minutes to get them, will they be ok for so long in the bags?

Im probably too paranoid but would like to be sure. Don't want dead fish.

Thanks again!

When you pick up your fish, let them know you are driving 40 minutes and ask for large bags and double bags. Take a cooler or at least a paper sack along if you want to be sure the temperature stays relatively stable. All that is probably unnecessary as the fish would survive in smaller bags and with a little temperature fluctuation, but this will ensure they stay happy and healthy as you introduce them to your tank. Have fun!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, just tell them and they can put more oxygen in the bag and less water. But they will be fine, just open the bag while acclimating, don't just let it sit in the water.

Back
Top Bottom