My 36 gallon bowl front build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a big list, people will argue with but some will be rehomed.... 2 cherry barbs, 2 tiger barbs, rubber lip Pleco, 2 yellow labs, a red tailed shark and a snail....... The only aggression in the tank is the bigger lab which is about 2.75inches

Terrance said:
No.. unless you are ready for a saltwater and an upgrade to your tank.

Could I put like 2-3 dwarf puffers??

I highly recommend doing a fishless cycle. There are many advantages imo. Also, Google is your friend lol. Try making a list of all the fish that interest you, and then look up their requirements (check several sites, then check again) and then come back here and ask us your final questions. It's a lot easier to stock from a final list of what you know might work, than from just throwing stuff out there.
On another note, I have that exact tank doing a fishless cycle right now :)
My next big question is, do you have a test kit? You will absolutely need one. A liquid master test kit, from either api or salifert (a brand I've not used but many people here have) you'll need this to check your water parameters on a daily basis during your cycle.

paytertot said:
I highly recommend doing a fishless cycle. There are many advantages imo. Also, Google is your friend lol. Try making a list of all the fish that interest you, and then look up their requirements (check several sites, then check again) and then come back here and ask us your final questions. It's a lot easier to stock from a final list of what you know might work, than from just throwing stuff out there.
My next big question is, do you have a test kit? You will absolutely need one. A liquid master test kit, from either api or salifert (a brand I've not used but many people here have) you'll need this to check your water parameters on a daily basis during your cycle.

I have strips

paytertot said:

I can't afford the liquid one:(

paytertot said:

What is the most preferred and most hardy fish for a cycle I only want like 1-2 fish and can I have plants in it with the cycle?

I don't know anything about fish for a fish-in cycle, I've never done one, I only do fishless. And you need the liquid one, check different online stores, you'll often find a cheaper way to get one. Do you have any objections to doing a fishless cycle? Just wondering.

The api master test kit is on Amazon for like $16 and lasts 4-ever. I am doing a fish-in cycle and testing at least once a day for the past 3 weeks and haven't even made a dent in the solutions. It is way worth it. Don't buy at petsmart because much more expensive. Also can say from experience that a fish-in cycle is a pain. Please read about the fishless because it cycles your filter faster and better so that you can add the fish you really want. The only good thing about doing a fish-in cycle is that my flowers outside are being watered nicely with the daily water changes. Believe me if I could take my fish back and finish fishless... I would!

What is the most preferred and most hardy fish for a cycle I only want like 1-2 fish and can I have plants in it with the cycle?

It's ok to have plants in with a cycle.

As for the price of the liquid kit it is actually going to save you money. If you really want to do a fish in cycle you are going to be testing your water daily and your strips are going to run out fast. They may be cheaper to just buy some in small amounts but for the money you pay for the liquid kit you will get FAR more tests than you would spending the same amount on strips. Some people make a liquid kit last a whole year so it's not that expensive when you think of what you would spend on strips and if you are doing that fish in cycle you really need the accuracy of the liquid to be sure you're fish are ok.

Like I mentioned before there really are tons of options for hardy fish but you need to know before starting what you want your final tank set up to be. It's easy to recommend something that will survive a cycle that is done right but then you may end up with fish that aren't going to be compatible with what you want in your tank at the end.

Before we can recommend something solid for you to start with we need an idea on something you for sure want in this tank so we can give you a hardy, compatible option. Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark. If you really have no clue what you want in your tank then I would start a fishless cycle and take the following weeks to do some research and make your plan on what you want.

Update on my tank:D with the new stand!:)

Attachments

• image-1118299674.jpg
    image-1118299674.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 70
GH: KH: PH: NO2: NO3:
180 240 8.0 0 20
Tell me if this is good or bad:3

Your pH is quite high, but this will be all over the place while you cycle.
What is your ammonia reading? (NH3)

The fact that you are showing Nitrates (NO3) is a good thing. It's a sign that you are starting to establish a beneficial bacteria colony.

Back
Top Bottom