My $40 Nano w/Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is my nano.

2.5g
15w CF Daylight
8w Actinic
Current USA Fission Skimmer
DIY raised glass top

Currenty there is about 3lb LR and about the same LS

1 turbo snail

Still thinking about what reef to add. Looking to get a nano PH for flow as well.

Im also going to refine that lighting fixture, or actually to away with it later on as well.

Enjoy.

pict0005small0nx.jpg

pict0007small7tr.jpg

pict0008small8au.jpg

pict0009small9gr.jpg

Hehe thanks. Im going to probably cut that rock in half for more "swimming" room later on.

I LOVE what you did with the light stand.... I wish I had thought of that for my 2.5 nano... now I have a project for this weekend......

I got a mini powerhead when I first set up my nano. It is the exact same pump that comes in those water garden things they sell at the drugstore.... You can just buy one of those water fountain things on clearance for $10 and get one that way.

Downside of the things - the suction cups suck and they tend to come unattached from the glass as the thick power chord won't let it stick due to leverage against the tank frame. Also, the little screen on the bottom of the pump gets clogged with algae very fast. You must remove to clean once a week or the thing will not put out any water at all.

I got a micro hang on filter for water flow for $10 and it works great, much better than that little pump.

David

Ive been thinking all night and I want the skimmer out of the tank so Im going to buy another 2.5g for a sump. Im going to built a "nano" stand and use a small rio or eheim power head for a return. I think ill use 1/2" bulk heads.

I moved the rock as well, It was only on that side because I didnt know how large the skimmer was until I got it. I also have my blue mushrooms propagating in there now.

Yeah I was going to suggest the same thing about getting rid of the skimmer. There is no way enough waste will be produced in a 2.5 gal to need a skimmer. Anyway it is so bulky and somewhat ugly no offence. Otherwise nice tank! Like the sump idea. HTH

Back
Top Bottom