My 75 has come together for now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i have my 75 gallon with the following:

-6 juvie Texas
-2 juvie Firemouths
-1 juvie Synspilum
-1 juvie Blue Acara

Obviously this is not a permanent home for more than a couple of my favorites; the rest i can sell back for a profit when they are a bit bigger.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438566198.970184.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438566234.922100.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438566264.002255.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Largest Texas:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438566532.221456.jpg

Largest FM:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438566572.171592.jpg
He is camera shy so his color faded.

Synspilum:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438566656.274290.jpg

Acara:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438566694.854373.jpg

These fish will be moved out within a few months and obviously i am careful about feeding small but frequent and doing lots of water changes. I feed what they eat in 1 minute and do it 3-5 times a day. But again, quite small portions and varied diets.

The only true aggression is between the Firemouths which have each claimed one of the sandy ends of the tank. They tussle a bit but don't bother other fish. Absolutely no torn fins and not a single death, some of these fish have grown an inch in the short tome I've had them (the two larger Texas).

It is very interesting to notice the way the dominance structure plays out! Surprisingly the Synspilum is low on the totem pole.

I really like the fire mouth, nice tank setup!

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice tank.
Water looks a bit yellow. May be drift wood tannins leaking.

Try adding new carbon and/or purigen to filter media to clear it up.

Seems like you have a good plan to rehome/sell some stock once they grow.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its the driftwood that makes the water yellow. I actually like the color and i don't think i will do anything special to change it. It will go away with WC in time.

Apologies for the terrible pictures, my iPod has a bad camera and I'm a crappy photographer to begin with.

They say to boil the wood before putting it in. Is that a proven method? Guess you would need a big pot lol

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, i didn't have a big enough container, as well as i like the yellow color. Boiling only kills bacteria, which is a benefit to you, but also removes tannins, which i wanted to go with the more natural feel of the tank. Its a weird definition of "natural" but i like it.

I kinda like it too. Plus as you stated, it will subside in time with WCs. It does make for a good natural lake feel. Ive got a huge piece in with my german red peacock tank. Been in there for 3 monthd now tannins are gone, but woods still floating.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Always loved firemouth though I've not owned one yet.

Looking good!

Caleb

You aren't missing anything. I thought this too until I got a group of 6. I ended up bored with them fairly quick. The flaring is cool but once they get settled with each other its not as often.

You aren't missing anything. I thought this too until I got a group of 6. I ended up bored with them fairly quick. The flaring is cool but once they get settled with each other its not as often.

Fully agree mike... I had mine for 6 months. Bred them, bap'd them, got bored, and traded them. They are cool, dont get me wrong, but for me it lost its luster pretty quick.

Fully agree mike... I had mine for 6 months. Bred them, bap'd them, got bored, and traded them. They are cool, dont get me wrong, but for me it lost its luster pretty quick.

Ha that's funny because it was about 6 months here also.

Hmm. I think mine are 2 males, because they constantly duel it out over each side of the tank where the sandy areas are. No physical harm done. I really love the colors and the flaring, even though the flaring should die down after a while. But the reds and blues get intense as they age.

Back
Top Bottom