My BC29 and Chaeto.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
This will be my 5th attempt at keeping chaeto alive in chamber 2 in the inTank media rack. I have the jbj LED light for the back but when I get the algae in the mail its nice course and softball size! After about a month in my tank it's mush and stinks!!! Reduced to what looks like mud.

Not gonna try it again. It's costing me 10 bucks plus shipping. Not worth it IMO.

Anyone? I don't wanna keep wasting money I it's not gonna grow.

Also with out the cheato do I need that sponge between 2 and 3? Some forums say if NOT running cheato you can toss the sponge.

I have it in my 14bc for about 8 months now...still on the original batch I got. It gets mushy up against the glass, but its actually some filimentous algae on the cheato... I just pull it out and cut that part off when I do my weekly water change. Then when I put it back in I kinda mix it up so a dif part is by the glass.
I still have my sponge in chamber 3 also.

alink708 said:
I have it in my 14bc for about 8 months now...still on the original batch I got. It gets mushy up against the glass, but its actually some filimentous algae on the cheato... I just pull it out and cut that part off when I do my weekly water change. Then when I put it back in I kinda mix it up so a dif part is by the glass.
I still have my sponge in chamber 3 also.

It was literally reduced from a nice softball size healthy looking cheato to a small mushy mess of mud all bunched up on the bottom where as when I first got it would fill the bottom rack. It was all reduced to nothing!!! I've given up for now. Not sure why it's not lasting. It was growing for a few months then it was gone! The size of a quarter and just yuck!! Smelled and was brown and muddy.

I read on a nano forum and inTanks setup that of you don't have cheato and are running something like phosguard or chemi elite in the bottom rack you can remove the sponge from 2 into 3.

No too sure what the problem could be, im sure someone that knows alot more then myself will chime in eventually.
I read the same thing that you can remove it but to keep it if you have cheato to stop it from getting into the display

alink708 said:
No too sure what the problem could be, im sure someone that knows alot more then myself will chime in eventually.
I read the same thing that you can remove it but to keep it if you have cheato to stop it from getting into the display

Yea I read the same...

Your phosphate and nitrate levels may just be to low. What else do you have in your tank?

Had the same issue in my bc29. Running the corallife fuge light that oceanic recommends for the hqi. I switched the 10k lamp for a 6500 lamp and the chaeto is growing great now. Keep the sponge if you are running chaeto, our you will foul your pump

Back
Top Bottom