my black moor HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demko

Aquarium Advice Newbie
He has had this lil blood dot in his eye for a few months and never paid no mind to it and thought it'll go away....

welll my bad and i feel bad now cause it exploded in his eye and now his eye is swollen then the other?

Should I take him out and put him a treatment with salt in the freshwater?

i took all the harmful things out for him but he is just nose diver and it's hard to not get hurt with his type of eyes...

help!

this is day one of notice of swollen eye

"Exploded"? Can you be more specific? Did the eye actually popped & something came out?

Little dots in the eyes that eventually came out may be brain flukes. Although the dots/flecks are said to be whitish. <I have never seen one myself.> Praziquental is the best treatment for flukes & other parasites.

The other possibility would be pop eye, which may be bacterial. Although parasites may cause pop eye as well. If so, treating with anti-biotic food is worth trying.

Finally, swollen eye may be the beginning of dropsy, which is indicative of internal organ failure. Is there any sticking out scale, swollen body, anything else you noticed?

Other info that may be helpful - size of fish, age, tank size, water parameters, other signs or symptoms.

Well,
img_1064009_0_a9068ed70c557b8046dcf0ef976e01fd.jpg
this is him now..
img_1064009_1_eed1160e7499ebc754945422286f5609.jpg
don't mind the water it has been changed! That was from over night...

Like I said he has had a lil red dot on his right eye just on the bottom of it? And about 2 weeks ago it finally burst in his eye where the blood was flowing freely around and i picked him up to see if there was a way to drain it but there isn 't so I fig I would do a water change with out all the harmful bubble rock that was in there. Well, a week later it dried up again to a lil dot and it broke open again and this where I notice his eye getting bigger then the other? it's very well..popeyed? and it seems to bother him cause he keeps rubbing it against the tank?

I have him in a 10 gallon tank since the filter is larger for a 20 gallon and keeps up with him and his lil roomate (another moor). water specs, I would have to do another check but it always comes up just fine and nothing to worry sum. I use spring water for most water changes cause I wouldn't drink my own water and I wouldn't want him to ;0) He is about 4 inch's and 2 years old. No scale damage, nothing looking like bloating to him, other than he does just chill in the corner of the tank for awhile without swimming around? And I thought that was swimmer's bloat and would drop some peas in there for him about 2 times a week. He doesn't swim to the top at all!

I have had him to long to give up on him so I did what that "pop eye" site said to do and put him in a diff tank with some salt. But he isn't in a tank, tank I only have a half gallon ice cream tub to put him in since i thru out my other tanks. So I put about 3 rocks in the water to see what he does with a bubble tube in it so he can breathe but not filter to keep up with the waste?

Day one.. he is still living? but the eye is reallllly red and eye looks about the same with it being enlarged?

Should I use epson salt instead of saltwater for him? (for tanks of course)

Epsom salt is only magnesium, no NaCl in it at all.. so no on that one.

It doesn't look like pop eye to me either, it looks like some sort of injury to it's eye. Personally, I would put him back in the main tank and keep an eye on him. I think that it will heal on its own. However, by keeping it in such a small container that is not cycled is going to cause more stress on him. I would put him back in the main tank.

I think this is a situation of more of a wait and see approach, if it is due to an injury and is internal, such as a bruise, there really isn't much you can do. Keep the water extra clean and keep a watchful eye on it. If you want to add salt to the water, you can add this to the main tank. I would do 1 tsp per g as a general tonic sort of thing. You didn't list your tank mates, some can be sensitive to salt, so you may want to post that up so we can help you to be sure salt is safe for them.

A note on the salt, you can use regular table salt, it doesn't have to be aquarium salt.

Update: 1/8/09
Developed I may believe ick on his eye now? It's cloudy with a lil white spot in it?
So, went n took him to the aquarium place and they gave me the ick away treatment but told me if it eats at his eye he won't make it? so.. I tried

Well, thanks! kinda puts me at ease but I ended up putting him(if its a he) back in the tank cause I couldn't find something big enough anyway and did a complete water change and waited til levels where right. Scrubed the filter out..(ewww) and I had to use tap water this time cause of stupid snow storm! So waiting sucks for the water to un bubble of bad stuff!

as a new fish owner when I first got him, I learned that he can't be friendly with others! He ended up starving my other fish cause he is a ground hog for food! He has a mate just the same as he is. The lil one seems to help him out so why seperate em? The lil one was lost with him .. I have two black moors.

I ended up put two teaspoons of aquarium salt into the new water also for just in case. I pretty much did all I can do from taking time to read these boards.

10 g tank with a 20 g filter to it..whisper?
ya'll know your specs, I know what I just bought and what my dad told me ;0)

and no decor to their home since his eye other than marbles.

I will give updates to see what happens?
:n00b:

Poor guy. Whether it be pop eye, or just an injury to the eye that caused swelling, I would attempt a treatment with Melafix. It is an all natural treatment that covers a wide range of symptoms. As to your tank with two moors, not to rag on you or anything, but your tank is a little small for two of those fishies. I would think about upgrading a bit. Keeping water quality good will be a bit easier and your fishies will thank you for it. Have you been testing your water?

moor

i agree, probably the beginning of a fungus. Still, that melafix clears that kinda stuff right up without being rough on the fishy. I swear by it.:D

Back
Top Bottom