My Blue Gourami rides the short bus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, it appears that my new prize for my tank, my long sought after Dwarf Blue Gourami isn't the quickest tank mate on the block....and I don't mean fast swimmer.

Actually he appears to be a very good swimmer, and strong. It's amazing to watch him stop on a dime, pause for a few seconds and move again, just to come to a complete dead stop.

Though getting still braver, it seems as if truely shies away from human contact where as my BH's and Danio's come to expect my presence in the room.

So why does my gourami need special attention? He's a littel slow on the feeding aspect. It's like he kinda just stares as the flakes and tubiflex worms as if each time it's a new experience and can't figure out that it's food. While I would think he would recognize the behavioral frenzy of his tank mates, he just acts the roll of 'wallflower'. He may nip at a flake, and eventually ingest a few, but by the time he eats one or two flakes, the rest have had a three course meal!

I'm a bit worried that in the long haul he may diminish if he doesn't eat more. Do I think he's sick? No....By all accounts he looks very healthy...nice coloring...strong swimmer....no visible wounds/sores/disease.

Suggestions?

I thought maybe this week I may try my hand at hatching some brine for some live food action...Maybe the food needs to wiggle a bit more?

"Suggestions?"

The fish will get hungry and figure it out. Every Anabantoid (Gourami/Betta) I have had was a really picky eater to start with. Both of my now deceased Gouramis would bite a flake and spit it out repeatedly for the first couple weeks I had them. It was funny to watch, but I was worried about them. My Betta appeared to not eat at all for a while, but now he darts around the tank flaring at everything else as he hunts down flakes or bloodworms.

You can try different foods as well, but I would really reccomend you stick with the tanks staple food until the fish starts eating that.

I would not worry too much about the fish starving unless this keeps up for a long time and the fish starts showing signs of illness.

How long have you had him? If he is new to the tank, he may still be a little stressed by his environment change. Also, he may not have learned the routine that you have. Maybe he actually doesn't realize that you are dropping food in.

As long as he is eating a little, I doubt he'll starve. If he is new, just give him some time. If he's been in there a while, though, maybe try a new food? My blue gourami has gone pretty crazy chowing down ever since the first time I got him. He isn't too crazy about tubifex, but he loves shrimp pellets and TetraMin flakes.

Paul

I second grimlock3000 (great avatar, BTW!) and it is probably just the result of being fed slightly different fare than what it got at the LFS, and new surroundings. I had a betta once that would not eat for a week, but it finally came around and was fine after that.

How long has he been in the tank for? Some fish take upwards of a week to adjust to the stress of being moved, and having a new home. This includes food.

Wow, Thanks Grim...Can't believe you were keeping track like that!!

I'm more or less trying to feed a variety. I have three types off food I pinch in for all my critters: tetramin flakes, tubiflex worms, and bio-something pellets.

So you guys think I should hold off on brine shrimp for feedings? Will my variety even go after the brine? I'd like to experiment just to see. I'd liek to think of myself as a good 'pop' to the kids and give 'em a treat.

Brine shrimp are just that, a treat. Once he starts eating healthy foods, then try the brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom