my catfish is sitting on the plants!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliepat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wrote a while ago asking what was wrong with my catfish, as his tail fell off. I treated the tank with medication for the recommended time, but it doesn't seem to have helped him.
Yesterday I was looking in the tank for the catfish....who is ALWAYS on the bottom, usually behind a plant. I couldn't find him, and started panicking, then I saw him... literally perched on a plant!! I knocked him off of the plant thinking he was stuck, and within minutes, he swam back ontop.
Today he was sitting ontop of a different plant. He is never on the ground anymore, but surprisingly, he isn't dead.
For a fish who never leaves the ground, this is very perplexing. Is he about to die? Does he have another disease? If anyone could help as to why my catfish chooses to sit on the plants, could you please let me know?? thanks so much.
Julie

Julie,

I had two new corries which did as you are saying. They loved sitting on the leaves of anubias. The cats looked nice sitting there and I thought all was well. Within a week, both cats died on the same day. I don't know what killed the cats. I suspect ich. I definitely do not know if sitting on the plants was a sign of distress though. I hope not because I sort of liked them sitting there and would like to get another pair when the tank settles down.

Tom

I had a cute little animated pleco that did this. I even saw him regurgitate something and then later that day, he passed. I was heartbroken. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom