My cichlid mixing problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What should I do?

• Keep the Jewel cichlids, take the others back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the assorteds, take the jewels back

• Take all back except auratus and get more of those

• Total voters

cheezysquirrelz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok the other day I asked about my new cichlids and you guys said that jewels and the assorted africans won't work together. I really like all of them so I need help figuring out what to do. If the female auratus are really mean I'll take it back. I'll take any ideas from cichlid pros.

Jewel cichlids are gorgeous fish, no doubt about it - especially when they're ready to spawn. Unfortunately, that's when they get ornery and downright vicious. I'll tell you my experiences with these fish, but keep in mind, YMMV.

Several months ago, I purchased two blue acaras, a firemouth, and a red jewel for my 58 gal. The firemouth has always been the most agressive fish in that tank. Recently, however, the jewel has taken over the tank. One night, I came home to find the firemouth beaten up and the two acaras huddling terrified in an upper corner. I removed the jewel immediately to another tank.

In December, I purchased two jewels at auction - supposedly a pair. I was hoping to put them in my 58 gal with the other jewel, firemouth, and acara. The president of my aquarium society told me that jewels can become so vicious, I might as well put all their tankmates in a blender and turn it on.. 8O But, he said that given the size of my tank and the abundance of hiding places, I might get lucky. He cautioned me to have a plan B ready in case there was aggression. I had an empty, cycled 10 gal standing by.

Well, one of the new jewels never even made it out of quarrantine - it was attacked and harassed to death by its 'mate'. So now, I have a 10 gal inhabited by two jewel cichlids that I know to be too aggressive to be placed in any community tank. I love the vibrant red and blue colors of this fish and its personality, but IME, they belong in a species only tank.

So, to answer your question, I'd say either consider a separate jewel tank, or bring them back and add some more Africans.

Back
Top Bottom