my cichlid setup ya or nah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidguy14

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i was wondering if this is a good cichlid setup or not im going to be doing water changes more often because of the drift wood i have. but overall is it good

Attachments

• DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0054.jpg
    DSC_0054.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 189
A few peacocks and some asst from the lfs

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do I see a Polypterus Senegalus hanging out in the top left? But on to the tank looks nice! Just needs a few large water changes to clear it out (filter floss or fiber will help tremendously too).

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

The water softening properties of the wood won't help with your choice of cichlids though, they like hard water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bichir bro yes in fact it is it gets along nice with my cichlids and I know I have to do some water changes I am working on that also how do I get it to be a harder water without taking out the wood? Thanks for the feedbacks

Bichir bro yes in fact it is it gets along nice with my cichlids and I know I have to do some water changes I am working on that also how do I get it to be a harder water without taking out the wood? Thanks for the feedbacks

I don't know how to answer that, I've never had this issue because the water in my area is good so I've not had to research it. Maybe Gillie can help? He knows just about everything anyone can know about anything when it comes to fish.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gillie do you know how?

What is your pH in your tank at? Check that first. I don't have experience with it, bit crushed coral is supposed to help raise the pH and harden the water. You should be able to find it at the LFS.

I do t know what the pH is because I don't have any way to test it and the testers are really expensive o will look up crushed coral

Ok. You really need to invest in tests for your aquarium. I wouldn't add anything without knowing the levels beforehand. :)

I usually take a water sample to my LFS and they test the water for free

They said its good I can't remember the exact numbers

Like I said I can't remember the parameters and how would I get my pH to get down

If you don't know what your ph is at then why do you want to change it? Fiddling with ph is a bad idea in general, fiddling with the ph without being able to regularly test it is asking for a ph crash that can kill all of your fish.

You want a higher pH for Peacocks. Most Rift Lake species prefer rocks to driftwood and the wood is causing the pH problem. Limestone and crushed coral will bring the pH up as stated.

It's much easier to research the fish you want first and then setup a suitable environment for them. YouTube is great for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom