My Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool looking tank! Thats one freaking massive pleco!

I like my tank to be overstocked, very low aggression compared to when I first started with 20 fish 2 years ago. The video doesn't do the fish justice, but to the eye...wow the colors on my fish are popping!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are Central American. Also this isn't a African tank. It's a Cichlid Tank(multi species). I encourage people to mix it up within limits though. Mainly because a lot of the fish you get from LFS or private breeders are not from their original location.

Species only tanks are awesome. That's how most serious fish keepers have it set up. They want uniformity and likeness. Or to breed, I don't and I'm a serious fish keeper. I have 6 other tanks with different set ups. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of fish that aren't compatible and again every fish has a different personality, you just have to see what works. "I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that don't work" - Thomas Edison

If you get a African peacock from Africa not the States then yes you MUST match water parameters and only keep with same species, just like North, Central, South, European, Asian fish, etc.. A lot of the fish you get here(State side) have been breed generation after generation and has over time(years and years) acclimated to mainly a neutral water ph for example. If you want to induce spawning a lot of fish require cooler water that is more acidic(lower ph). If you maintain the same ph varying a little then you have no issue. For example I only match the new bagged fish with the tank temp water for like 15-30 minutes, then just plop the fish in. Never had the issue of matching ph unless it is a major difference in ph.

The OP wants this to be a show off thread.

Please all stay on topic and remember to "Be Courteous". Members can relate their opinions and experiences. Please be respectful and tactful. If there are any Moderator questions please PM myself or a staff member. Here is a link to the Community Rules in case anyone would like to review them, it is a nice thing to see once in a while.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom