My common pleco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Petco and Petsmart won't take fish. You have to find other ones, but I'm guessing you don't have any around. Maybe try putting it up on Craigslist or something like that? I know that doesn't sound the best though... You could try to find someone who owns a pond? I'm sure if you ask around the employees at Petco, someone will know someone.

Petco and Petsmart won't take fish. You have to find other ones, but I'm guessing you don't have any around. Maybe try putting it up on Craigslist or something like that? I know that doesn't sound the best though... You could try to find someone who owns a pond? I'm sure if you ask around the employees at Petco, someone will know someone.

When I had to re-home several fish, my local Petco took them as adoption fish. You won't get any credit, but at least they MIGHT get a decent home.

I'm sorry for your loss. You do sound so sad. Just about everybody on this forum has been through what you have or something like it. And we all care ;)

I skimmed through some of the posts. Plain and simple the common pleco is not suitable for your tank. I saw where you had plans to upgrade... realistically, neither the 55 or 100g tank are really suitable for a common pleco either IMO. If you can, take it back. Put it on craigslist for a pond or a huge tank. Common plecos get really really big. There's a thread on here somewhere called "fish that should not be sold in stores" or something to that nature. I cant find it, but it shows some incredible pictures ;)

BTW, Welcome to AA

Yeah, I've researched and found they'll get to be as big as 2' sometimes, and live to be 20-30 years. It's pretty awesome, but I don't know if I have the time or funds to dedicate to taking care of him (and I agree--these fish shouldn't be sold, at least not so easily and without letting one know what they're getting into.)

I'm going to talk to my family, see if they would want the pleco to be a "family" pet, so everyone can pitch in to take care of it. I won't ask anyone to pay or anything.

Worst comes to worst, I'll look around and try to find him a home. Craiglist seems interesting, maybe I'll get some luck with it. :] Thanks!

Thanks guys for all the advice and help, I really appreciate it. :) I'll watch videos on YouTube to try and learn how to properly use the vacuum (it's one of those that aren't battery powered, and I stirred the whole thing up horribly that it was cloudy for fifteen minutes before everything settled. D: ), and I'll definitely try making those water changes. Thanks for the tip on the filter - I'll remember not to clean it during a water change.

Even if I don't keep him, it's good to know these things. Next time, which will probably be a while from now (at least until I've graduated), it'll make for a much better experience, I think.

Thanks for the tip on the filter - I'll remember not to clean it during a water change.

Just to be clear, its better to clean your filter during a PWC (rinse in the water you take out) just don't vacuum your substrate that same day. I usually do a very light skim the surface vacuum (to get any poo and debris out) when I clean the filters. I do weekly PWCs but only clean my filters as needed (around once a month)

The siphons always suggest to shake them in the water until the siphon starts; that's really pretty pointless. What does work: put the siphon in the water along with 8ish" of the hose. Tip it up to release the air bubbles, then lift the siphon out of the water until the water in the hose starts running. Quickly get the end of the siphon back into the water.

It takes a bit of practice to get the timing right, but this works FAR better than sloshing everything about for twenty minutes... As long as you "seal" the end of the siphon by sticking it back under the water quickly enough, the suction effect will work and will continue until the seal is broken. (It's like when you have a straw in a cup full of liquid-- put your finger on the end of the straw and lift it up, you'll still have liquid in the straw; release your finger, the straw empties.)

Good luck :) and do consider finding a new home for your pleco. He'll be happier in a MUCH larger environment, and you'll be a happier fish-keeper with more suitable fishies.

I found that the other day, when my hose fell off the siphon tube, the whole thing filled up! So now I take the hose off, stick the siphon tube in the water, then reconnect the hose. Voila! :D

I skimmed through some of the posts. Plain and simple the common pleco is not suitable for your tank. I saw where you had plans to upgrade... realistically, neither the 55 or 100g tank are really suitable for a common pleco either IMO. If you can, take it back. Put it on craigslist for a pond or a huge tank. Common plecos get really really big. There's a thread on here somewhere called "fish that should not be sold in stores" or something to that nature. I cant find it, but it shows some incredible pictures ;)

BTW, Welcome to AA

Common Plecos should definitely NOT be sold in fish stores. I bought one when I first started out, while not realizing just how big they really get. Luckily, I listed him on Craigslist and got a huge response. I chose a woman who had both aquariums and ponds because I knew she'd be fully able to care for him as he grows. Hopefully the OP will have a good of luck as I did with rehoming.

Depending on your budget, I would also suggest checking out craigslist for aquariums. Depending on the sale, in my area in particular I am seeing aquariums ranging from 75 gallons for $100 all the way to 285 gallons for $450. Not to mention you may also have something for trade that someone is interested in.

What about checking out craigslist? Many people give away whole complete fish tank setups very cheap. So when the time comes, you dont have to put a TON of money into it and you can give the Pleco a good home with you?

Back
Top Bottom