my Diamond Tetra is MEAN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaseyCip22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey gang,
So in my 5 gallon tank I have a Golden Guppy, a Diamond Tetra and some neon Tetra. At first it was just the GG and the NT, but about a week ago I added the DT. Dude, my DT is MEAN. He keeps chasing the GG, and the GG hides in a corner behind this sponge that I have. When I moved the sponge so that there was no space behind it, the GG started hiding inside the sponge hole. The GG seems to scared of the DT, and when he comes out, the DT chases him back in. I feel so bad! Has this happened to anyone else? What do you do about a bully fish?!?

You are way overstocked for a 5 gallon tank. Your diamond tetra, as with most tetras, needs to be in a school. This is most likely the cause of the bullying.

4 small fish is overstocked?? I know there are people on here who think 5 G tanks are like an abomination or something, but I had 5 fish in there previously who were fine.

Just because they look fine doesn't mean they are. Try could be stressed and be stunted. An upgrade would be a good idea. What are your parameters?

Every other fish in this tank was FINE before the bully tetra came along and he is only chasing after one other specific fish. This has naught to do with overstocking.

Ok, I jumped the gun here, sorry. You may not be 'overstocked' with 4 fish. You just don't have the right combo of fish for your tank.

Do diamond tetras not get along well with others? I thought all types of Tetras were good for communities?

I've put a piece of plexiglass in there for now, but I'm worried that the side with my guppy isn't getting the proper filtration, even though there is space along the sides for water to flow through that the fish can't get through. Ugh.

Your diamond tetra is 'acting out' because he doesn't have any 'friends' of the same species. Almost all tetra have to be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6, of the same species. I'm not an expert or anything, but I do know tetras prefer to be in groups of the same kind and are often 'nippy' when they are stressed or unhappy with their environment/tankmates

Hmm...I don't know how to fix the problem then. Adding more tetra would then actually lead to an overcrowding problem. :(

I would rehome the Diamond tetra, and get a few more neons. Diamonds are nippy to start with, and even worse when not kept in groups. The neons are pretty mellow. If you leave the aggressive tetra in there the other fish will become very stressed, and possibly become sick due to a reduced immune system, from being bullied:hide:

Neither of the tetras belong in tank that small. Tetras get mean and stressed when put in small tanks and/or without tankmates, which is what you're seeing. Even before the addition of the diamond tetra, the tank was a less than ideal setup.

I had a 40g tank with inadequate stocking of cardinal tetras, and they were the meanest fish in the tank once there was only 4 of them left.

Neither of the tetras belong in tank that small. Tetras get mean and stressed when put in small tanks and/or without tankmates, which is what you're seeing. Even before the addition of the diamond tetra, the tank was a less than ideal setup.

I had a 40g tank with inadequate stocking of cardinal tetras, and they were the meanest fish in the tank once there was only 4 of them left.
Very interesting. I have never had an aggressive Neon, or Cardinal, but I have always kept at least 20 at a time in the group.. Guess you never know whats going to turn out being cranky:lol:

Maybe you can re home all of the fish and get a single Dwarf Puffer, or a really nice Betta. Although, it's always so rewarding to upgrade and get a bigger tank. I've upgraded to a 10g to a 55g and now I'm working on getting angelfish, german rams, and two kinds of tetra to stock it. Craigslist is amazing, we got an acrylic tank (55g) with stand, hood and lights for 150$.

Hmm...I don't know how to fix the problem then. Adding more tetra would then actually lead to an overcrowding problem. :(

IMO they are already overcrowded in such a small tank. They need at least a 15g tank.

Yes yes I know everyone should upgrade to a larger tank. That's easy to say when others aren't contributing 1) money 2) space 3) time. Nor do I know how to "re-home" a fish. I don't know anyone else with fish or a tank so I can't just go around asking my friends if someone would be willing to take him.

Yes yes I know everyone should upgrade to a larger tank. That's easy to say when others aren't contributing 1) money 2) space 3) time. Nor do I know how to "re-home" a fish. I don't know anyone else with fish or a tank so I can't just go around asking my friends if someone would be willing to take him.

Have you tried craigslist? To rehome a fish, you just have to find someone that wants it, and give/sell it to them.

You can also try and see if a local fish store will take them off your hands. I drove 4 hours to re home my goldfish and I'm glad I did because now I can have healthy, happy fish more suited for the tank I have. I found a home for them on craiglist btw. It's worth a shot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom