My Evil Evil Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JokerBebop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey This May Be A Stupid Question But... Im Gonna Ask It. I Just Got Back From My Second Tour So My Brother Bought Me A 90 Gal Tank. Nice Upgrade From A 20 >:] But Anyways We Decided To Just Get All Chiclids, Since We Already Had 3 Albino Orange Oscars From My Previous Tank. We Bought 3 Tiger Oscars, 3 Blue Jaguar Chiclid's. 2 Plecos, 6 Snails, These squiggly Guys. 3 Kory Fish, And 2 Catfish. Well The Oscars Ate 2 Of The Korys Within 20 Seconds. So I Had To Get The Other One Out And Put It In My Moms Pond. The Catfish Looked Okay. The Guy At The Store Told Me It Would Not Be Bothered. Man Was He Wrong. The Next Morning Fish Guts Where All Over The Place. Not Only Where Both The Catfish Spread All Over The Tank, But The Oscars Ate Two Of The jaguar Chiclids. My Oscars Are About 6 Inches Each. What Can I Mix Them With ??? Any recommendations Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks So Much

I personally don't think you can put anything in with your oscars. Besides the fact that they will both out grow that tank, they will eat anything that will fit in their mouth.

One piece of advice I tend to give to people often is:

Don't listen to people at fish stores. 95% of the time they don't know what they are talking about. Now, that isn't to say they are always wrong but sometimes they either want to sell you something you don't need just to make a sale, or they have never kept fish in their life and get their info from small tags that give a little bit of info.

your best bet before buying anything is to come home and research. This will save you TONS of money in the long run

For a 90 gallon tank all you will want to keep are the oscars and a pleco. Oscars grow very fast and can reach 15". They are very messy fish so you will need PLENTY of filtration. You will want to filter the entier 90 gallons about ten times an hour or 900 gph. I would use two good canister filters to do this. Remember to do your weekly 30% water changes and feed a balanced diet and a vitamin supplement like Bio-Vit.

Hope this Helps

they will eat anything that will fit in their mouth.
thats the gist of it..
i got, 2 oscars 1 silver dollar 1 catfish, 2 barramundi in one tank, (all still babies)
but all the same size barr 1 oscar.
i've kept 2" oscars with my 9" they went fine..
i've also kept red zebras and discus with oscars but i wouldn't recommend it

Back
Top Bottom