My experience using Levamisole HCL to treat camellanus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I discovered one of my new angelfish had camellanus worms poking out of him recently. I did research on the best treatment to cure him and all the other fish that were exposed, which meant both of my tanks (45gal. and 55gal.) since I had used the same siphon and nets in both tanks. I had heard how devastating this worm is, and how hard to get rid of. I was happy to find that there is a reliable treatment that is "safe for fish, plants and the bio filter." Levamisole. I bought 10grams of the stuff off of Aquabid.com and followed the instructions to the letter. After a massive water change in both tanks. I made a solution with 5g of the powder, the recommended dose for 100 gals. I divided the solution between the two tanks, with slightly more in the 55 than the 45. Right away I lost a cardinal tetra. By the next morning, most all of the fish appeared lethargic and uncoordinated. The instructions say to leave the tanks alone for 72 hours, so I waited till afternoon. By then I had lost the angel with the worms, 3 more cardinals, 2 rasboras. Everyone else appeared to still be in distress. So I decided to do some water changes. I did about 50% in both tanks and things are looking a little better. The remaining angel, a Betta, the last rasbora, and all my cories still aren't back to normal. But they are much better than earlier. Tomorrow I will do more water changes. I just wanted to put this out there that you can't believe everything you read about the safety of any medication for your fish. The course of treatment calls for repeating the procedure in three weeks. I think, instead, I'll just keep an eye out for the worms. If they come back, I'll treat at a lower dosage than recommended.

I had a run in with camellanus very recently (actually still working on it -- treatment one with Levamisole HCL of 2) and according to my research 5g is way too much! According to the websites below a dose of 1/2gram for 24h is plenty for 55gallon (to achieve 2ppm concentration). That's what I did for my 55g and 7g and everyone is much happier (did 36 hours, just to make sure). So, if you still see the signs of the worms on the survivors, try a smaller dose, shorter time. Good luck.

Levamisole Hydrochloride — Loaches Online

Prohibit Levamisole Treatment

I treated a 45gal and a 55gal. with 5 grams. The second treatment I treated the 45, 55,and a 15 with 5 grams and the fish all still acted sick. I lost almost all my cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras. I also lost all my nerite snails. I followed the instructions on the package to the letter except I only left it in 24 hours. The second go round I lost fewer fish. Everybody left appears healthy. Hope you got yours gone too.

I think your problem was too much medicine. With 5g split between all your tanks, that's still about 5 times the concentration I used... I experienced no problems with any inhabitants, including nerites and cherry shrimp. And I saw worms being expelled... so it seems the meds worked... but we'll see in the long run...

I wonder why the package said 5 grams treats 100gallons? Wish I had known otherwise before I poisoned my fish.

May be it works with some fish? More hardy and not as weakened by disease?

Back
Top Bottom