My first ADF's?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a cycled 10g tank with a male Halfmoon Betta in it...
I saw cute little ADF's in the store yesterday and wondered if they would be okay with my betta and what care would be involved with them. What would I need to get, what would I feed them?

Please tell me all I need to know!!
Thank you! :)

The suggested height is no more than 18 inches, but more ideally it should be 12 inches :)

They like veggies best.

If you crunch up a catfish pellet then they will eat it.
Make sure it is breaked up well as they have small stomaches and will choke on big pieces of food.

You should have the temp at 80 as they thrive in that temperature.

They are sociable critters so 2 and more , the more the merrier :)

You tank size is fine the height is not to tall for them and they can get to the surface for breath.

They are blind and it will take them a while to find the food.
So the hardest challenge of keeping them is making sure they have eat well :)

Fishy Aston said:
They like veggies best.

Make sure it is breaked up well as they have small stomaches and will choke on big pieces of food.

You tank size is fine the height is not to tall for them and they can get to the surface for breath.

Sounds great... I figured I'd put a shallow dish in there for food... I have water dropping 1/2" from filter... Is that okay? I'm thinking a floating betta log for them to climb up on? Thinking to get 2-5? 5 is my favorite number! :)
So I have my betta, 5 ADF and I'm thinking mystery snail. That sound okay?

Edit: Could I feed blanched veggies like I do my otos?

Yep all fine , I am going to get these frogs soon I have done so much research on them I just need to save up and get them :)
(Im just a school-boy)

Keep in touch about they do in your tank and when are you going to get them?

The smelly the food the better. I found that frozen brine shrimp works good. While they have trouble seeing their sense of smell seems to be better. I put a few small pieces in the tank and they can always find it pretty quickly. Feeding them in the same place also helps.

The smelly the food the better. I found that frozen brine shrimp works good. While they have trouble seeing their sense of smell seems to be better. I put a few small pieces in the tank and they can always find it pretty quickly. Feeding them in the same place also helps.

+1 Yes very true (y)

I have two adfs in a standard 10gal filled up to an inch from the top and they go great. You want to make sure you have some floating plants near the surface so they can rest there when they come up to breath.

Adfs are social so id strongly suggest you get at least 2 to keep eachother company :)

+1 for the floating plants!! i have two in my 20g and they do great. I hand feed mine bc of my cories liking their food as well!! they really like to hid in my pots that i put in my tank as well as chill on my driftwood!! they are fun little additions. and my betta does great with them! good luck!!!

They like veggies best.

They aren't blind, they just have poor eyesight. I feed my frogs an aquatic frog pellet, and the pellets are around the size of this "." and they break really easily.

Back
Top Bottom