My first blunder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted a blue background for my 72g, so I went to the lfs and got a double side background with dark blue on one side and a mirror like coating on the other side. Here is the blunder that I made: I put the background in the inside wall of the tank. This worked fine before when I had a freshwater. In about two days I noticed that when moving the live rocks in the tank it made scratch marks on background thats when I realized my mistake. I decided to remove. I spent sometime on the forums and books and determined that the background should be placed outside the tank. Not inside.

So yesterday I removed and committed another blunder. The mirror coating from the background came off and dirtied my water. There were tons of sparkling stuff floating in the water. Today morning the water kind of settled. All the dirty stuff went to the sump or settle down. Now, how do I salvage the situation?

a) I am getting my RO/DI unit tomorrow. Anyway, I was planning to replace the water once I get it. I am going to empty the tank completely and put fresh ro/di water. Is it ok to do this while live rock and sand in place?

b) what other precautions should I take to make sure that all the dirty suff is removed from the tank?

If the stuff is still free floating around the tank, aggressive mechanical filtration will remove it. So if you have a free filter laying around, put some filter pads in it and let it run.

If you are planning on replacing 100% of the water anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about this problem. You could always take out the LR and wash it off with freshly made SW as well when you empty the tank. That would ensure the rocks are free from the "mirror coating".

I am getting my RO/DI unit tomorrow. Anyway, I was planning to replace the water once I get it. I am going to empty the tank completely and put fresh ro/di water. Is it ok to do this while live rock and sand in place?

I am assuming you are going to mix up the sw BEFORE you put it into the tank with the LR. In other words, you aren't planning on putting in 100% FW into the tank with your LR and then add the salt? Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Yes. yes. I am planning to make sw with fresh ro/di water and then fill the tank. I will also rinse the live rock once again before placing it in the tank.

aravindk said:
Yes. yes. I am planning to make sw with fresh ro/di water and then fill the tank. I will also rinse the live rock once again before placing it in the tank.

Ok, cool! You should be fine then.

Is your tank glass? If so, you could always paint the back of the tank the color you want your background to be with an acrylic latex based paint. But if you do this make sure you paint the OUTSIDE of the tank. :) Oh and do this before you add any livestock.

I just painted a tank for the first time. I used latex spray paint. It was so easy and looks so good I will never use a fake background again.

Good Luck,
Brian

My wife wanted to sponge paint mine. Looks ok on the bathroom wall but please not the fish tank :roll:

LOL tecwzrd .... thats when you know home improvement shows have got to STOP!!! Next you'll be driving a sponge painted Lexus or Beamer "OH Honey it looks good"!!!

I just decided to cut the wall out of the picture...
Now I can see my tank from two sides :)
(of course, cleaning is fun...)

Back
Top Bottom