My First Cycle Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I took my First Cycle Readings today I had the Shrimp in for about 3 days or so and right now my readings are

Ammonia 0.50 ppm
Nitrate 0.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.0 ppm
PH Level 8.2 ppm
Water Temp- 79.6

I also have my Skimmer and Fluval Filter running I also have my Media also inside my canister filter should I remove them and put in LR Rubble for replacement?

Let me know if my cycle has started....:n00b:

Your cycle has started...barely, but it has started. I would not run the skimmer while cycling, and I would replace the bioballs with LR rubble for the cycle. Hmm, how much LR rubble can you put in a cannister? Someone who has one can answer.... Mike?

Well I just replace my media with LR rubble I use one of my LR that was infested with Aipitisa.... I took it out and scrubbed them off and what ever was dead pretty much i broke up into pieces and it pretty much full up all 4 Media Baskets that I have inside my canister filter.... I will only run my Canister for now on til Cycle is done.... I had to actually put 4 gallons of water back into the tank because 2 gallon went into the canister and about 2 gallons evaporated i just hope that did not ruin the start of my cycle process... Let me know... if it's still good...

Diatoms

So I notice my sand is turning Brown and reading in recent threads it's Diatoms.... It that also part of the cycle process?:p

Should I be taking cycle readings everyday..... I took test on the Sep 1st and Sep 2nd.... None today.... Just wondering I only have 1 shrimp in my tank and yesterday my Ammonia reading was already up to 1.0ppm.... Let me know if i should keep checking?

No problem. Your ammonia will probably get up to around 3 before it starts to go down.

Hey, if you don't mind Tank I am going to post this in here to avoid spaming the board with a similar question.

I started my tank up three weeks ago and I had an ammonia and a nitrite spike within the first week. Right now ammonia and and nitite are zero and nitrates are average. I started the cycle using 50lbs of LR in a 65gal tank, and while I have heard doing so can yeild an instant cycle I want to be sure before adding fish.

Will adding a shimp now to test hurt anything? I assume if my cycle is complete I won't see an ammonia spike since the bacteria will suck it up, and if not I know I didn't cycle. Does this make sense?

I don't mind Patroklos I would love if everyone with similar question post here.... That way we can get as many questions answer and get a variety of different cycle experiences all packed into one Thread....

and By the Way I notice this morning as i have my Power head running my shrimp is gone... I take it, it has completely decomposed I have not checked reading yet but I will once I get out of work today.... I had my shrimp in a mesh bag( Panty Hose) and I only see just a slight bit of it? Is cycle already over? I hope not....

I started my tank up three weeks ago and I had an ammonia and a nitrite spike within the first week. Right now ammonia and and nitite are zero and nitrates are average. I started the cycle using 50lbs of LR in a 65gal tank, and while I have heard doing so can yeild an instant cycle I want to be sure before adding fish.

Will adding a shimp now to test hurt anything? I assume if my cycle is complete I won't see an ammonia spike since the bacteria will suck it up, and if not I know I didn't cycle. Does this make sense?

If you saw an ammonia/nitrite spike, and they're both at zero now, then your cycle is complete and you're good to add a single fish. Adding a shrimp at this point won't hurt anything - all it will do is elevate your nitrates. But you shouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites.

Tank2379 said:
and By the Way I notice this morning as i have my Power head running my shrimp is gone... I take it, it has completely decomposed I have not checked reading yet but I will once I get out of work today.... I had my shrimp in a mesh bag( Panty Hose) and I only see just a slight bit of it? Is cycle already over? I hope not....

The cycle is over if the ammonia and nitrite test zero. The shrimp disintegrating doesn't have anything to do with it.

I took a reading today and it looks like my ammonia went down and my PH level went down....

Ammonia 0.0PPM
Nitrate 0.0PPM
Nitrite 0.0PPM
PH 7.8
SG 1.023
Water Temp 79.5

:-?

I`m thinking Tank it`s too early that would only be about a week. You didnt by any chance use already cured LR did you? You might not see much of a cycle. Was it already in a holding tank when you got it?

Yeah it was already cured rock it was from an established Tank for 3 years.... The guys I got the LR from lived about 10 minutes away from my house and I probably got about 50LBs of LR from him already cured..... I might of did something wrong then..... My critters are doing OK and there running around all over the place I put in the Power head in last night and it looks like even more life kicked in because everything looks so happy...... Some of my LR is spotted white but looks like it all coming back to it natural state.....

It sounds like your tank has completed the cycle. It is still a little strange that you are not seeing nitrAtes. Can you run some of your water to your LFS and get them to double check for you?

Back
Top Bottom