My First Planted Tank- 90 Gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, here is my first planted tank. It is 2.4wpg, 1/2 flourite, 1/2 gravel and no CO2. I plan to add more plants but keep the same type of look as you see in the picture. I do have a problem with bright green hair algae on the glass and overflow, but it seems to settle down 2 weeks after a water change.

I've been reading Diana Walstad's book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" and it has inspired me to keep on trying to keep this tank as a low tech tank. I plan to experiment with some of her techniques.

Current Fish:

2 Bristlenoses
3 SAE
4 Melini Cory Cats (2 are babies that I bred!!)
3 Yoyo's
4 Rainbow Fish

Additional Planned:

4 Dennison Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark

4 Blue-eyed Rainbow (may not add and keep in my 10 gallon. If I do, it will be at least another 6 months, as they are tiny)

Attachments

• full_view-small_290.jpg
    full_view-small_290.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 165
Nice start. It is difficult to keep algae at bay when the tank is only partially planted. It is also expensive to completely plant a tank of that size. It would be nice if the vals were to grow long enough to reach the top of the tank. Good luck.

Keep the co2 levels high )30-35ppm) and algae won't be a problem. I would add at least 4 more sets of stem plants in there and a foreground cover of some sort.

Congrats and good luck, the tank looks great!

Getting additional plants should not be a problem. Check the barter/trade forum from time to time. Clippings are posted regularly.

I have trimmed the vals several times. My LFS suggested it so they fill out a little more with some more bottom growth and then let them grow. When they were full grown they looked really cool laying on the top.

Yes, I am slowly adding some more stem plants as I find them. I like taking my time and enjoy shopping around. This weekend I plan to do some cutting and replanting of my stem plants. I will also be separating some of my grassy plants so they will start spreading but I still want to have the open area in the middle.

We set it up around Christmas time, using biospira so it was cycled immediately. I've been taking my time adding fish so I can enjoy that "new tank setup". It has been weeks since I added my last fish because the LFS is still trying to get the dennison barbs.

I love having this size tank. It gives you the opportunity to have fish that are just too big for smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom