My first tank (10 gallon), any help would be appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DukesDan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am a first time poster and I want to make sure I am not doing anything terrible.

I bought a 10 gallon generic tank from walmart as well as a generic filter that hangs on the back wall (I think it is a Tetra brand, but whatever is usually carried at walmart). I also bought a Tetra brand heater that is appropriate for the tank size according to the box. I got one bag of black gravel, which as I later found out is about half the recommended amount for the tank. It fills it all the way across but is very shallow in depth. I got a few fake plants, a fake yellow coral thing and a fake plastic anchor. I set all of this up with tap water and Aquasafe dechlorinater on a thursday just over 3 weeks ago. The next day I bought 3 Orange Von Rio Tetras. They were incredibly small fish, probably a half inch long or less each.

I have since done three water changes (about (15-20% each)and have done a few water tests. About a week in I still had barely readable Ammonia levels. A few days ago I had ammonia levels around .25 mg/L or maybe even less than that. This last one was done with the API drop test. The previous ones were with the test strips.

Yesterday I went back to my friendly petco and got 3 more Orange Von Rio Tetras and a Dwarf Gourami. My little von rio's from before have all grown a little so I got regular sized ones today. The Dwarf Gourami is beautifully colored and about 2 inches long. I also bought some baby shrimp to go along with the omega one freshwater flakes I had bought with the first fish. I have been feeding a very small pinch of flakes once a day. I have put 4 baby shrimp in since yesterday morning.

Today I took a Ammonia test and got around .25 mg/L again and also did a Nitrate test and got somewhere between 0 and 5 mg/L. I am not sure where this puts me in the cycling process. I know I shouldn't have gotten the other fish yet but outside influences led to it (mainly an impatient GF, okay I was getting impatient too). I also bought a 18-24" LED strip light that is in the mail. Finally I threw in a few Aponogeton bulbs as an impulse. Do these need to be buried because all but one keep floating to the surface. Will they start growing while floating?

Is there anything that I am doing that will cause these fish to die imminently? I can do frequent water changes and plan to do so since I have increased the bio load by so much all of a sudden. All the fish seem to be doing fine a day or so in and are getting along. They sometimes school and sometimes seem to go around on their own. The Gourami seems to just swim around where ever he wants unchallenged since he is bigger than the others. None look sick as far as I can tell. Any tips on things to look out for appearance wise that would be a cause for alarm?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to getting more involved in the aquarium community and figuring out how to do this the right way.

-Dan

I would guess that your tank is not cycled. <Unless you have a daily ammonia log that showed NH3 & NO2 spikes in the 3 weeks that the tank was setup.>

You had a pretty low bioload, so it is going to take a while for NH3 to build & start cycling. At this point, with the added bioload, I would suggest daily ammonia/NO2 testing, and pwc (daily or more if needed) to keep ammonia less than 0.5 (and NO2 less than 0.25 when it starts to spike). This low ammonia level method will take longer, but is much better for your fish.

0-5 of NO3 is likely within test error (or there is a bit of NO3 in your tap ... should test your tap for comparison.) I would not get too excited about that. Once you have rising levels, then your cycle is done.

The bulbs should be planted. If you are serious into plants, you will need something like 3-4" of gravel to hold the plants down. <Unless you go for floaters like hornworts, or clingers like Java ferns or Anubias ....>

welcome! you will find the people on her very helpful! if you have any questions just ask away!

sounds like you are doing just fine. you might want to get some more gravel in there. I did the same thing when I started out and finally broke down and added the gravel. a little difficult, but worth it. just make sure you rinse it well and then when you do your next water change you will very carefully add the gravel in there. make sure you are very careful. go slowly and be on the lookout for all your fish in there! this I think will help you out in the long run.

since you added some more fish in there your numbers may start to climb. just keep testing daily and doing water changes as required to keep your numbers low.

good luck!
oh, and yes your bulb will grow floating around like that, but you will probably want him planted eventually which will require that extra gravel

DukesDan said:
Hello,

I am a first time poster and I want to make sure I am not doing anything terrible.

I bought a 10 gallon generic tank from walmart as well as a generic filter that hangs on the back wall (I think it is a Tetra brand, but whatever is usually carried at walmart). I also bought a Tetra brand heater that is appropriate for the tank size according to the box. I got one bag of black gravel, which as I later found out is about half the recommended amount for the tank. It fills it all the way across but is very shallow in depth. I got a few fake plants, a fake yellow coral thing and a fake plastic anchor. I set all of this up with tap water and Aquasafe dechlorinater on a thursday just over 3 weeks ago. The next day I bought 3 Orange Von Rio Tetras. They were incredibly small fish, probably a half inch long or less each.

I have since done three water changes (about (15-20% each)and have done a few water tests. About a week in I still had barely readable Ammonia levels. A few days ago I had ammonia levels around .25 mg/L or maybe even less than that. This last one was done with the API drop test. The previous ones were with the test strips.

Yesterday I went back to my friendly petco and got 3 more Orange Von Rio Tetras and a Dwarf Gourami. My little von rio's from before have all grown a little so I got regular sized ones today. The Dwarf Gourami is beautifully colored and about 2 inches long. I also bought some baby shrimp to go along with the omega one freshwater flakes I had bought with the first fish. I have been feeding a very small pinch of flakes once a day. I have put 4 baby shrimp in since yesterday morning.

Today I took a Ammonia test and got around .25 mg/L again and also did a Nitrate test and got somewhere between 0 and 5 mg/L. I am not sure where this puts me in the cycling process. I know I shouldn't have gotten the other fish yet but outside influences led to it (mainly an impatient GF, okay I was getting impatient too). I also bought a 18-24" LED strip light that is in the mail. Finally I threw in a few Aponogeton bulbs as an impulse. Do these need to be buried because all but one keep floating to the surface. Will they start growing while floating?

Is there anything that I am doing that will cause these fish to die imminently? I can do frequent water changes and plan to do so since I have increased the bio load by so much all of a sudden. All the fish seem to be doing fine a day or so in and are getting along. They sometimes school and sometimes seem to go around on their own. The Gourami seems to just swim around where ever he wants unchallenged since he is bigger than the others. None look sick as far as I can tell. Any tips on things to look out for appearance wise that would be a cause for alarm?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to getting more involved in the aquarium community and figuring out how to do this the right way.

-Dan

Sounds like you know a little about cycling but this is a great read.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will have to get some more gravel soon. I guess I will just leave the floaters as they are for now and plant them later.

Today my ammonia is getting closer to the .50 mg/L level.

Nitrate remains the same at somewhere between 0 and 5 mg/L.

I don't have a Nitrite kit. I didnt see a master kit at petco and got stuck just buying nitrate and ammonia. Is a pH test worth getting? I also tested the tap water (Pittsburgh city water) and got pretty much the same reading as from the tank for nitrate! So I guess I have a ways to go before I am cycled. Wish I had a nitrite test to show some progress.

Used the gravel siphon cleaner today and boy is that a hoot. Pretty interesting to use, I'm lucky I didnt make a big mess!

I did a big water change after testing today, probably 35-45%.

Will test water again tomorrow. Still waiting on my light!

Get a bigger tank, your overstated. Need more cycling time and never buy any fish supplies from Walmart. Tetra's can get 1.5 and gourami can get up to 4" (+). You might be fine today but your tank needs to be bigger.

A dwarf gourami will not get 4 inches maybe 2.5 I think you are fine just don't add any more fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom