My First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correct me if I am wrong..
You have all the fish at your moms house in an old tank. You are setting up a new tank to transfer them over to your place. Right? Than what you using to cycle your tank?

Your stocking list have male and female guppies. If I were you i would keep female guppies far away at least until you have things under control if not forever.

Unless you do want 100 guppy babies on your hands.:)

You are doing great! Keep it up.

Correct me if I am wrong..
You have all the fish at your moms house in an old tank. You are setting up a new tank to transfer them over to your place. Right? Than what you using to cycle your tank?

Your stocking list have male and female guppies. If I were you i would keep female guppies far away at least until you have things under control if not forever.

Unless you do want 100 guppy babies on your hands.:)

You are doing great! Keep it up.

no im 14 and im at my dads and my tank is at my moms and im getting another and was setting it up and was maybe going to put my fish in it so i could get my bigger one cycled and ya i know but i put females in because i only had males and they were biting eachothers fins off and i heard females would make them stop or something.....and thanks!:)

I have 5 male fancy guppies no problem. Well just know that that breed like crazy.

Post here anything you do with detail so you can get help at every step.

Even after tank cycling ur tank. if u add all the fish at the same time, the bio load will be too high and tank will go into cycle again.
Do it 2-4 at a time. Wait 2 weeks and add 2-4 again.

Keep up with water changes and your ph, temp and nitrate get stable.

Well my males were dropping dead left and right and all the ones that died had fins with bites taken out and since I put females in they've been fine

Females won't give birth for like a month so my tank should be fine plus I have a breeder net and a smaller tank to put them in

I will do plenty of water changes but it's hard cuz my mom works and I'm not their till Friday so unfortunately my fish might end up dying:((((

KeeperOfFish said:
Well my males were dropping dead left and right and all the ones that died had fins with bites taken out and since I put females in they've been fine

Females won't give birth for like a month so my tank should be fine plus I have a breeder net and a smaller tank to put them in

I will do plenty of water changes but it's hard cuz my mom works and I'm not their till Friday so unfortunately my fish might end up dying:((((

I have a feeling some of the damage you're seeing is being caused once they've died and other fish are picking at them. The only options at this point are daily water changes or finding another home for the fish. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but this will keep happening if you are unable to get daily water changes done :-(

I think the question is just what you will do with all those guppies. They can easily and quickly overtake your tank with hundreds of guppies :whistle:

I have a feeling some of the damage you're seeing is being caused once they've died and other fish are picking at them. The only options at this point are daily water changes or finding another home for the fish. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...but this will keep happening if you are unable to get daily water changes done :-(

I know and their gonna have to survive until friday because i cant do anything and i have no one to give them to and i dont wanna give them back to the store

I think the question is just what you will do with all those guppies. They can easily and quickly overtake your tank with hundreds of guppies :whistle:
i will keep a couple(after my tank is cycled completely) and sell the rest or give away for free most likely

For what it's worth, it's often hard to find a home for hundreds of free guppies. If you have a Petco they will take them. But netting tons of babies and taking them in isn't really fun. And if they grow too much they will put too much waste into your tank and give you problems. Just know what you're getting into. :)

For what it's worth, it's often hard to find a home for hundreds of free guppies. If you have a Petco they will take them. But netting tons of babies and taking them in isn't really fun. And if they grow too much they will put too much waste into your tank and give you problems. Just know what you're getting into. :)

i know they have lots of babies and i guess imma have to take them to petco or someplace until i can take care of them properly(the babies)

also my mom ordered a water test kit and will be there by friday and i asked her to use it so ill post results then

siva said:

Agreed. Perhaps you can return the females to the store. It will serve two purposes...get them out of a bad situation and make your tank easier to maintain in the future since you don't have full access to it.

Very cool..give her a heads up that each test is different and to read the instructions thoroughly for each test :)

Agreed. Perhaps you can return the females to the store. It will serve two purposes...get them out of a bad situation and make your tank easier to maintain in the future since you don't have full access to it.

Sigh....i might do that i dont know though:bawl::bawl:

starting august i will be at my moms full time so i will have full access to my tank then

oh and about the fish fins being bitten off they werent bitten off after they were dead because they were all still alive with bitten fins and then died about an hour or so later....just remembered that

Back
Top Bottom