My fish died after giving birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchafishaboo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I have 4 platy's in a 24 gallon tank, they were fine until a couple of days ago my platy gave birth and then died almost immediately, that fish has been disposed of but now I have a school of motherless fry, are there any suggestions as to why this may have happened?

Sometimes birthing is too much stress on the mother and she's dies from it. Do you have the fry separated from the other Platys? They will eat them if left with them

Yes they are in a hatchery tank, I have notice that one of them has a different shape to the other ones though, it's hard to see in pictures, but it is very fat at the front of the body, is there a possibility it could have eaten its sibling? Or is it just an un identical one, it also has a patch of missing scales, I think it is dying, I'm not sure...

It may not be developed as far along as the others. It may catch up or it may not survive. If it doesn't remove it so it doesn't pollute the nursery

Back
Top Bottom