My Fish Keep Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WoopAhhh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank, I've have it since last year and have since then fishless cycled. I test the tank water with an API Master Test Kit and the ammonia and nitrite levels stay at 0, and the nitrates are also at a good level.
About three weeks ago I bought 6 glo-fish. Now I only have 2.

I don't understand. They just die. The water temp stays about 76 and I do a PWC weekly (at least). I research like crazy and have made sure to learn everything I need to know about the fish species before I buy them. I've done everything. But I have no luck.

Welcome to AA! It is possible the glo-fish were unhealthy from the store? Do you have anything else in the tank?

Welcome to AA! It is possible the glo-fish were unhealthy from the store? Do you have anything else in the tank?

I have no other fish in the tank, the glofish got it all to themselves.
And I'm not sure. I've never had much luck with fish before this. Although I bought them from PetSmart, so it could be possible.

WoopAhhh said:
I have no other fish in the tank, the glofish got it all to themselves.
And I'm not sure. I've never had much luck with fish before this. Although I bought them from PetSmart, so it could be possible.

ive had nothing but bad luck wth petsmart fish if there the only place you can get fish try finding out when shipments arrive and buy the day before a new shipment or 3-5days after one those will usually be the hardier ones

Consider purchasing fish from another store, keep an ammonia source to keep your cycle going if the other 2 die.

Consider purchasing fish from another store, keep an ammonia source to keep your cycle going if the other 2 die.

I have tried to find a better store to purchase fish, however there are absolutely none in my area.
I thought I finally found one last week, but when I drove there to buy fish, it was closed down :(
So I'm stuck with Petco/Petsmart fish.

Yes check on the classified ads here on the site. Another thing you can do is talk to the people at your lfs and see if you can put some fish on "hold". That way you could watch them for a week or two and see if they seem ok. Sometimes pet stores will allow this if you speak to the manager.

Back
Top Bottom