My German Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xr3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a German Blue Ram that has ich and he has turned pretty bad in the last few hours. he is laying on his side and has turned dark dark black and his eyes went from red to complete black. I have been treating him for ich for the last few days about 5-6 days of treatment and he hasn't gotten better :( I have made sure to do water changes about everything 2-3 days only 25% and I have been making sure the heat stays the same sitting at 80F. I really want to save him because he is my favorite fish, he was levitating on the bottom of the tank getting picked on by the guppy I have and also my albino corry. I have put him in a half gallon bowl of treated water sitting at 80F and i really want to make sure that i can keep him alive. anything else you need i can provide.

80 is a minimum temp for the ram???Could be why the fish got sickin the beginning.I keep AND breed my rams at 82-84 on average.Cold water shortens their fragile life considerably...
86 if you even want to touch the ich.
What med? I pray not salt!
Change more water and vacuum the substrate while doing.
WC everyday when dosing meds....What do the meds directions say???

80 is a minimum temp for the ram???Could be why the fish got sickin the beginning.I keep AND breed my rams at 82-84 on average.Cold water shortens their fragile life considerably...
86 if you even want to touch the ich.
What med? I pray not salt!
Change more water and vacuum the substrate while doing.
WC everyday when dosing meds....What do the meds directions say???

I have not been using salt and I will start doing a water change every day. I have been vacuuming the substrate and its 5 drops of mardel quick treatment which is half the dose since I have a corry and a frog. I have turned up the heat to 82 and will slowly raise it more in time. anything else I can do for the little guy? :/

The quick cure is good stuff.
Make sure he is eating to stay strong.
I know nothing of frogs ,but as cory if he seems ok you can raise dose carefully.
86 + kills ich. Less is believed to speed up its life cycle.
The 'ichs' will fall off to substrate which is why vacuuming/waterchanges are important..
Good luck.

Reactions: Xr3
How's it going?

After about a day he passed away.. I took him to my lps and they said the cod was Ich and that I didn't catch it fast enough or couldn't treat him fast enough because of the corys and pleco I had forcing me to do half a dose of the treatment.. the second blue ram in the tank has show great improvement though and has only a few more noticeable spots

From your description being dark like that, I feared the worst. Sorry to hear of your loss.

What are you doing on the treatment, the same as previoulsy mentioned? The Ich have a life cycle and will be present when you see them and then again when you don't??? Please make sure to use the medication for the entire time it is supposed to be used, as the Ich could still be there even if you can not see them.

From your description being dark like that, I feared the worst. Sorry to hear of your loss.

What are you doing on the treatment, the same as previoulsy mentioned? The Ich have a life cycle and will be present when you see them and then again when you don't??? Please make sure to use the medication for the entire time it is supposed to be used, as the Ich could still be there even if you can not see them.

Yes I am aware that they lie off the fish before reattaching, the treatment will take about another week as I'm doing half the dosage and I'll be doing it an extra 1-2days after I see the last sign of ich fall off

Ich hides best in the gills of fish.
It can only be killed while it is off the fish,so stay up on meds.
I would treat at least 4 days after you see last spot ,and then look real hard at gills of your fish before stopping...
Sorry about your ram, most are not very hardy fish IMO and even good ones require stable good quality parameters to have chance in a 'community' type tank...

IMG_6395.jpg can anyone tell me what this spotting is on the side of my ram?

What specific spotting are you referring to?
And.... is that a goldfish in there??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The reddish spots on his side and no it's a guppy.

The redish in the pink spot?
Pretty sure that's a goldfish.

The redish in the pink spot?
Pretty sure that's a goldfish.

Yes the red spot or spots under the black part on his side.. I'm not sure what it is and it's a guppy Image1483561908.882849.jpg

That's a goldfish, the pink spot indicated the sex of ram is female.

Okay thanks and unless that's a goldfish that stays the same size and can survive in 82F water than I'm 99% sure it's a guppy.. I've had him for over a month and a half and he hasn't grown..

Okay thanks and unless that's a goldfish that stays the same size and can survive in 82F water than I'm 99% sure it's a guppy.. I've had him for over a month and a half and he hasn't grown..

Well, I can 1000% guarantee you it's a goldfish, I don't think you could Google guppy and find anything similar. Try Googling goldfish. At least your ram is at the right temp;) a month is nothing, they can live for years and years, take it back to the petstore.

Back
Top Bottom