My Ichy battle, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rasta tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I noticed the white spots on my green terror the other day and have begun treatment for Ich. Heres my situation. Feel free to chime in, I need advice.

Gear: 125G tank, Fluval 404, Power Head, Air stone, 2x300W heaters

Stock: Texas Cichlid, Peacock Cichlid, Green Terror Cichlid, Bumble Bee Cichlid, Orange spot Pleco, Tiger Barbs, Moon Crab, Red Ear Slider.

I began treatment Monday by doing about a 30% water change and very thorough gravel vac. I put a little extra dechlorinator to help slime coat. Temp was normally around 80 deg F so I upped it to 82 for now, plan to go to 86. I bought Rid Ich recommended by lfs and dosed exactly as directed, 55ml for 125G.

Tonight I plan to do a 25% water change, gravel vac, normal dose dechlorinator, temp to 84, half dose of Rid Ich.

Concerns: Will my moon crab be OK with Rid Ich?
Will my turtle be OK with Rid Ich?
will my pleco be OK with Rid Ich?
Rid Ich says do water change and dose same every day, shouldnt I lower dose to not concentrate?

Quick update: tues I did another 25% water change and gravel vac. I decided not to go with RidIch and try the heat method, Im at 85 deg F. I put the package of carbon back in the Fluval 404. my concern is i looks like it let some carbon out of the bag into the canister and when I turned it on it looks like some was released into the tank, is this bad?

No the carbon released into the tank will not harm the fish. Get the temp above 86F and keep it that way for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Also make sure to either increase aeration or lower the level of the water in the tank a bit to increase splash.

thanks for the info. I dont have hob filter but between the powerhead blowing bubbles and the air stone, do i have enough aeration?

How high is too high

My heaters seem tempermental, if i turn it down a little, it goes down a lot. So, right now its holding steady at 88-89F. At night it may drop a little to 85-86F. Will this work to kill Ich? Also on a warn day, it might even hit 90-91F, is this dangerous for the fish?

You should be fine with the airstone. You might want to consider getting a more reliable heater. The temperature fluctuations are hard on the fish's ability to recoupe.

Back
Top Bottom