My Long Awaited 100g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Instead of 3 t12 shop lights how about getting some t8 fixtures and doing it ODNO (check TPT for some articles on it).

Humor me dude. Show me a pic of them all 3 connected just to the right or left of center.

Instead of 3 t12 shop lights how about getting some t8 fixtures and doing it ODNO (check TPT for some articles on it).

Never knew you could over drive those bulbs. I wish I saw that method before I put the lights together. I'll definitely keep this in mind when they crap out when the moisture eats them in a few years. Thanks for the awesome tip.

The first is how I'm currently leaning. There really isn't a good way to mash these pieces together, but here's what I came up with:

Attachments

• image-2577792880.jpg
    image-2577792880.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2462889824.jpg
    image-2462889824.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 124
Yeah I see what u mean about the 3 together. I like the first one, too. Would just be thoughtful about what u plant directly in front of them.

Yeah I see what u mean about the 3 together. I like the first one, too. Would just be thoughtful about what u plant directly in front of them.

That's why I'm looking for some medium grown height plants for in front of them. My swords were small when I started...never knew that they would grow 20" tall.

Progressing with the prep work, I'm attaching the background this morning, and will hopefully start to get stuff placed this weekend.

I do have a stubborn issue though. There is this white crud or film on the inside of the tank that simply won't come off, and I'm hoping that one of you has found what works. I've tried various cleaners and a razor blade to scrape it off, but most of it is still there. Any ideas what will work?

Attachments

• image-89667320.jpg
    image-89667320.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 124
That is a hard water calcium buildup/stain. Try vinegar BUT many times if you have water over it you don't see it. That happens when water levels are allowed to drop in a tank with hard water and the person doesn't keep the glass wiped off which allows the buildup. So try the vinegar then do a test fill to see if you can see it. ALSO I don't know if they make them anymore and I can't remember the name but there used to be a package that had wet wipes that you could use inside a tank safely for those type of stains. I used them in the baby water turtle tank as it was the only thing I found that worked. Try looking around online to see if you can find them. Wish I could tell you who made them but I just don't remember.

Super....your build is amazing! Coming from a DIY myself that stand and light bar looks awesome! Im not sure how limited you are with woodworking but you cant tell that build looks as professional as it comes! I would definitely change your lighting tho too T5's tho MAINLY cuz it would cost a lot less. I gotta ask tho about how you did your lighting. Because you did it yourself(as i prefer to do). Did you add any protection towards the fixtures being in a wet area? I just built a lighting fixture myself for my 45-50gal with a T5NO fixture although it is not moisture resistant but the electrical box that will hold the timer and the fittings are all water resistant. Other then adding a sheet of plexyglass(which i did) in between the light an tank all i can i think to do is replace the outlet to a GFCI for added protection. Im extremely impressed and would love to hear some details as to how your did the electric side of your build! GREAT JOB!

Thanks! I did price out t5's and these were actually cheaper. $12 each fixture and $25 for a 10pk of bulbs. There was an awesome 6 fixture t5ho fixture I saw, but because it's in a wet area, I looked at replacement costs as well. There are some glass dividers that made up the original top that I'll reuse, plus I wired a couple fans to help ventilate the hood. All that is plugged into a surge protected power strip with everything else then into a gfci receptical from the original tanks setup.

My progress as of Saturday afternoon. I put too much water in when I got the dirt wet so it's refusing to compact. Time to figure out how to correct that now....

Attachments

• image-2667082312.jpg
    image-2667082312.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 122
Thanks! I did price out t5's and these were actually cheaper. $12 each fixture and $25 for a 10pk of bulbs. There was an awesome 6 fixture t5ho fixture I saw, but because it's in a wet area, I looked at replacement costs as well. There are some glass dividers that made up the original top that I'll reuse, plus I wired a couple fans to help ventilate the hood. All that is plugged into a surge protected power strip with everything else then into a gfci receptical from the original tanks setup.

Well i meant cheaper in the long run in the long term by burning less wattage overtime. The fixtures are a little more expensive for T5's but they push A LOT of light and only use i think 14watt a bulb. So you could use half as many bulbs and pay out less for the equivalent amount of light. You wired in cooling fans??? Can you post a picture as too how you did that???? I know i considered wiring a small like 2amp circuit breaker switch in it but i figured that may be over kill. But i love electric cuz of my fear for it if that makes sense. I want to know im safe to leave the house with the lights burning. I love to see im not the only one that DIY my own lighting!

My progress as of Saturday afternoon. I put too much water in when I got the dirt wet so it's refusing to compact. Time to figure out how to correct that now....

I gotta ask cuz im new to dirted tanks. What is your method as to preparing your dirt and/or filling? Do you slow fill to start and let it sit overnight with water just above the dirt line and gravel/sand the next day? I only ask that question cuz my very first dirted tank i applied the soil dry. Capped it with gravel then slow filled it. Well i still have dry pockets in the dirt and that was a couple to few months ago.

Just wanted to show what i did. Much smaller tank tho.

Attachments

• image-124164241.jpg
    image-124164241.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2862908404.jpg
    image-2862908404.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1361577699.jpg
    image-1361577699.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 134
I gotta ask cuz im new to dirted tanks. What is your method as to preparing your dirt and/or filling? Do you slow fill to start and let it sit overnight with water just above the dirt line and gravel/sand the next day? I only ask that question cuz my very first dirted tank i applied the soil dry. Capped it with gravel then slow filled it. Well i still have dry pockets in the dirt and that was a couple to few months ago.

My advice is place the dirt to your desired depth then slowly add water making it into a thick mud,definitely don't want runny....once you've done so&there are no dry pockets it should pack down nicely....cap your dirt& use a shallow bowl or plate while slowly filling the tank...make sure the water is hitting the bowl or plate as you fill otherwise it can get messy...

My advice is place the dirt to your desired depth then slowly add water making it into a thick mud,definitely don't want runny....once you've done so&there are no dry pockets it should pack down nicely....cap your dirt& use a shallow bowl or plate while slowly filling the tank...make sure the water is hitting the bowl or plate as you fill otherwise it can get messy...

During the slow fill would it be ok to lightly stir the dirt to help break up the dry clumps?

During the slow fill would it be ok to lightly stir the dirt to help break up the dry clumps?

Actually you'd accomplish that as your adding water to bring it to a thick mud consistancy..you do not want the dirt to wet(soupy)...addvthe cap whether it be sand,eco,flourite etc...place the dish then do the slow fill...doing this keeps from disturbing the cap,without the cap your tank would be a mess..

When I dirt I add the dirt and moisten it enough to compact it but not get it wet. I suggest you let yours dry out some simply because I've seen others get dirt too wet and have their cap sink right in. If you let it dry out some for a few days you can compact it and then gently add your cap. You do not want to stir or disturb any of the substrate. Next put a bowl or plate on the cap and fill the tank using the bowl to add the water in so it doesn't mess up the substrate. Just fill the tank slowly.

Back
Top Bottom