My moms betta :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my moms betta has raised scales on top of his head. I've read several threads starting with this symptom and leading to dropsy. I could really use some advice. She's kept him in a unfiltered one gal bowl without a heater. How should I go about this? I was thinking of giving him a water change tonight and adding some aq salt. Then tomorrow when I go to walmart buy him a small heater. I have kanaplex on hand do you think that might help?

Could'nt find my aquarium salt but I gave him a water change with a little stress coat in it. I'll look some more tommorow its been a long day I went to the ER so maybe I'll find it then.

You can use kosher salt instead of aquarium salt. I would say a definite yes to the water change. Other than that most medications are set up for a 10g tank and it can be very difficult to dose for something smaller.

Hm =\ I have a large tub and a large heater I could use. 29gals I think.

The raised scales related to dropsy are usually on the fish's flanks, not normally on the top of the head where not much fluid can be found. Can you take a pic? Could this be an injury of some sort?

David

I doubt it he's in a bowl. I tried to take a photo but he's so small and I dont have a very high quality camera. I started him on the first doseage of kanapkex and they appear to be going down. I'll try later today when I do his water change.

Ah, I am sorry for that. But raised scales are often a sign of serious internal problems., It often means the fish is unable to regulate his own water content, osmoregulation, and there is very rarely anything you can do about it.

I agree, seeing it on the head first is a bit odd, but if a fish has dropsy, all the scales on the body will rise, and the eyes will pop as well. First time I ever saw a case, I had no idea what was happening, so the poor danio was pretty much a pinecone by the time I learned what was wrong.

At least I was able to euthanize the fish before it suffered any more.

Bettas do like salt in their water and it is a good general tonic and treatment for many things, but the heater was not needed. They don't need truly tropical temperatures, unless you are treating for ich or something like that.

I think this poor fish likely had an infection internally and there was nothing you really could have done.

I'm not suprized. She didnt take very good care of him, I'll be glad to see the fish bowl finally get put away. I told her no more.

Way to rise up! Gotta put those parents in their place :lol:

It's sad to hear about the betta but unfortunately these things happen.... far too often.

I tried talking her into a filtered tank. I even offered a 2.5gal I found on sale at petco. Told her I'd even cycle it for her. She didnt wanna spend the 20$ said he was fine. I got my betta two years before hers and I still have mine. I cant bear watching another one suffer :(

I tried talking her into a filtered tank. I even offered a 2.5gal I found on sale at petco. Told her I'd even cycle it for her. She didnt wanna spend the 20$ said he was fine. I got my betta two years before hers and I still have mine. I cant bear watching another one suffer :(

Wow two years, that's quite a long time!

I know how you feel about watching a suffering fish :( I freaked out when I thought my betta got fin rot and seemingly lost almost all his fins practically overnight. It turned out that my filter was causing his fins to blow out. Well $50 later I got him a brand new canister filter to try and prevent that from happening again.

Oh wow! My first batch of goldfish, the ones I learned all my mistakes on of course :( due to all the stress he'd been subjected too I watched his swim bladders deflate overnight. He just lays on the bottom now, but honestly I dont even think he remembers swimming because he seems like a happy fish to me. I take extra special care of him, removing all the gravel, special ordering sinking fish food.

Its really hard knowing thats my fault :( but I know better now and I'm doing what I can. I'll give him the best quality of life I can.

Here's my betta right after his issues. It's the same one as my profile pic.

75748-albums12568-picture60016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom