My neons are getting very agreesive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
My neons are biting and chasing each other is this normal ?

Ar you seeing fin damage or is it mostly show? They do "play" and get frisky after water changes. What size is the tank and how many fish? Water parameters OK?

I have a school of all female neons, and I have noticed that the more comfortable they have gotten, the more often the biggest fish seems to bully the others. It's not bad, but I have noticed it. Last night, they were fighting over pieces of food!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've seen mine doing this before, they'll dart around at each other in a small circle. I've seen them doing this for months and never noticed any fins nipped or any harm done so I assumed it's just playing.

Aggression within schooling fish, even neons is quite common. Rarely is there need to worry unless you have a fish that is tearing up others within the school. Also larger schools tend to help spread aggression out so no one fish gets picked on all the time. What size tank are they in and how many neons do you have?

Ok thankyou all and I have a 100litre 76cm long clear seal tank I have 9neons and 2 kribs and one ansest cat fish 300lph filter

Seems like all the tetra species like to spin flair at each other. It's quite normal. I guess fish need play also. My smallest neon thinks he's the "baddest mudda" in the tank. None of the other fish mess with him. To my astonishment, I saw him run a 2" serpae all the way across the tank once. So funny! OS.

Seems like all the tetra species like to spin flair at each other. It's quite normal. I guess fish need play also. My smallest neon thinks he's the "baddest mudda" in the tank. None of the other fish mess with him. To my astonishment, I saw him run a 2" serpae all the way across the tank once. So funny! OS.

Could this be stocking with different fish? Mine school very well, sometimes they will drift apart but no issues at all. I wonder if this is because they are small fish in with rosy barbs and other large fish or something else?

Back
Top Bottom