My new burr puffer!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I name her puffy the shrimp slayer.

Lol

Anyways after my Valentini puffer got sucked to my power head and died. I added a filter to the power head and made sure it would never happen again.

Puffers have always been my favorite fish so with that being said I went to the LFS and purchased a baby burr puffer this time.

So I know I know I have her in a 47 gallon column tank however Im
The brand new owner of a used 200 gallon rank that I will set up in a year or so when I feel he is getting ready to outgrow my 47 gallon.

I can't wait for this gal to get older so I can establish my 200 gallon predator tank.

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• image-3293382206.jpg
    image-3293382206.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 185
  • image-2147088849.jpg
    image-2147088849.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 164
  • image-4032451798.jpg
    image-4032451798.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 143
  • image-478006981.jpg
    image-478006981.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 162
Ohhhh and by the way. I went to sleep for a while today and when I woke up I found this girl sucked to the side of my power head. :( I almost had a heart attack.

Darn fish was just sleeping attached to it.

I guess the filter pad wrapped around the power head makes a nice comfy bed.

Attachments

• image-3715136542.jpg
    image-3715136542.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 177
  • image-3663842748.jpg
    image-3663842748.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 186
  • image-194253526.jpg
    image-194253526.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 180
Cool burr. How big is your little slayer? Keep an eye once both of your puffers mature. Dangerous if you're attached to either one of them or any other fish in your soon to be 200g tank.

I agree with Terrance be careful mixing the two . I keep my porcupine with other fish without issues so far but 2 puffs is a big risk... They look good tho

No I only
Have one puffer. My valentini got sucked to the power head and died

I've only had a few green spotted puffers (brackish). I've never had a saltwater puffer...not yet anyway! I also like the yellow boxfish as well!

I caught this cow fish/ box fish off the pier by my house

Attachments

• image-3618610792.jpg
    image-3618610792.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 159
nikki_kaiser said:
OMG!! Wish we could catch stuff like that where I live!!!

Yea I don't think you get to fish the ocean much in Texas lol. I'm heading to Houston next wed then to Dallas my woman and I are taking a vacation to visit her family and then my family plus she has her Mary Kay convention or whatever in Dallas that she has to attend.

Not much in Houston but we go to Galveston quite a bit! Hmmmm...wonder what I can find near the rocks there??? I may need to take a road trip! Dallas is cool! That's where I'm from and my family lives. Lots of stuff to do! They also have some fantastic fish stores.

After reading many many problems with this type of puffer. I have became really scared. I've never owned a fish that has so many problems.

However since day one he has eaten frozen brine cubes. Now this morning I feed my fish frozen krill and he ate that and now I just feed some blood worms and he ate them too.

I even thawed out a 1 inch thin shrimp and held it above the water and he came up to it and ate it.

Maybe I'm lucky but thus far no problems with him eating.

Thus far no problem with tank mates.

I have noticed that he is constantly swimming around and I have only noticed him once resting and that was when he decided to sleep stuck to my power head " I got scared and stuck my hand in the tank and he swam away" ;)

He never hides like my other fish do. He is always just swimming around not once has he swam
Through a tunnel of my rocks.

Thus far he is a crazy lil guy.

Actually I'm sure he is a her so I need to start saying her.

Reason I think it's a her cause if y'all have noticed some burr fish have long horns and some have short horns. Well I think " don't quote me" but females short horned, male long horned " makes since to me"

I know cause I have read that all burr fish are caught with IP so I don't have a QT tank and I'm
Not going to medicate my entire tank with parasite killer so with that said I'm thinking about just adding some vitamins to the water and to all fish food. For now anyways.

As long as he stays looking happy, healthy and eats well I'm happy. I haven't noticed any tall tale signs of any type of parasites.

The bigger they get, the less often you should feed. Be careful not to overfeed because its super easy to do it. On the other hand, its very difficult to starve them to death. Feed until the tummy is slightly round. Its fun feeding them though :)

These fish are prone to getting IPs for many months according to a few hobbyist. All you have to do it keep an eye on the stomach. If you feed today, then tomorrow before feeding, you shouldn't see a sunken tummy. They are naturally thinner than other puffers, such as your porcupine, so its sometimes difficult to determine if its a sunken tummy or not. You just have to use your best judgement. If at any time you notice stringy poop or a sunken tummy, then medicate the food only with IP med. No need to medicate the whole tank. Many puffer keepers (me included) like to pre-treat their fish for a full 1-2 weeks. Better to catch the IP early rather than later.

Terrance what meds would you recommend me treating my fish food with. I think I'm gonna do it just as a precaution?

Ohhhh and it's not a porcupine puffer it's a spiny box puffer aka burr fish ... Big difference thus I have read

Back
Top Bottom