My new flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the help guys here he is let me know what you think and if he has potiential

image-3407246633.jpg

He's very pretty! But i don't think he'll ever get a large KOK, and that's what most people are looking for.
Here's mine, just a 1/2" baby right now. (Please don't bash anyone! I like them but he won't ever reproduce)

Attachments

• image-3777678960.jpg
    image-3777678960.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 176
  • image-1522565517.jpg
    image-1522565517.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 163
i didnt expect alot from him he was only 10 bucks and hes only 1.5-2inches i doubt hes suppose to have a large kok right now but it doesn't matter as long as he gets an ok sized one than im happy with it

i didnt expect alot from him he was only 10 bucks and hes only 1.5-2inches i doubt hes suppose to have a large kok right now but it doesn't matter as long as he gets an ok sized one than im happy with it

It's possible he may pearl and/or fade and show some quality that way, but usually at 2-3" they already have signs of what they'll look like as adults. I've got a friend with a 2" that has a huge kok, the kind filled of fluid rather than muscle.
But you did get a hell of a deal! I paid $20 before shipping for mine and have no clue what he'll turn our to be, or even if he's actually a she yet!
I'd be more than happy with mine turning into a guy like yours. And who knows, maybe your he is actually a She. Then that's be a REALLY nice female

I keep seeing these flowerhorn threads on forums lately and it's making me want one. I just discovered the females don't tend to develop that large hump, which was the only turn-off for me. They also say they reach 6-8 inches, which is good for me since I don't have a large tank.

Are the petsmart ones any good?

I wouldn't buy it from petsmart but if possible send pictures i can tell if there any good or not

I wouldn't buy it from petsmart but if possible send pictures i can tell if there any good or not

+1!
Petsmart isn't known for their quality, if you want a quality one rather than just a wet pet, you'll either have to look at an LFS or buy online.
It'll also be very difficult to find a female unless you're buying online. I have never seen one in a pet store, chain or family owned.
I know a couple people that have some fry/juvies right now if you're interested I can put you into contact with them, that's your best chances of getting a female without paying hundreds

What part if cali are you from ? my local fish store sales plenty of young females for 10 bucks no tax

Whoops! Should have thought about location.

Should have said, in my area, and all the other places near Ohio/Michigan I've been to, I've never seen anything good quality come out of a store.

@Oohitsae after only 5 days of this food my flower is already improveing i can see his hump growing and colors getting better ill take pics soon but this is his food works real good

image-1657322069.jpg

They r stunning fish. Really expensive tho.

I keep seeing these flowerhorn threads on forums lately and it's making me want one. I just discovered the females don't tend to develop that large hump, which was the only turn-off for me. They also say they reach 6-8 inches, which is good for me since I don't have a large tank.

Are the petsmart ones any good?[/QUO

Flowerhorns get much larger than 6-8 inchs. My 1 year old female is a little over a foot

@Oohitsae after only 5 days of this food my flower is already improveing i can see his hump growing and colors getting better ill take pics soon but this is his food works real good

Oh yeah? In my flowerhorn groups I see a lot of people saying that anything that says "flowerhorn" on it is usually junk, so I've been avoiding it like the plague and instead have been feeding just some Aqueon color enhancing cichlid pellets crushed up. I've heard a lot of people are using a thing called something like "Thai mineral pink" or something? They all say it's really good for color, so was considering that as well.
My biggest issue currently is that my FH isn't even 1" yet, so not much will fit in his poor mouth and crushing pellets get to be a pain, was looking into maybe buying some sort of flake that'd be good for him, but I don't generally see cichlid flakes so would tropical work? Do you know?

When young like that i was told to feed them mostly blood worms but it wont hurt to try the flakes

Back
Top Bottom