My new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

empire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I've had my new 10G tank (with filter, lights) for around 2 weeks now and I am excited to venture into this hobby more.

I am a complete noob but I'm learning as I go.

I bought a male Betta (named Johnny) from Petsmart on Day 1 when I bought the tank.

A week later I added 3 black phantom tetras (2 males - Pablo and Jesus + 1 female named Lola).

The male betta did not care much for the 3 black phantoms when they first met so everything is pretty good with these guys so far.

Today, I went to petsmart after doing research and got a "Micky Mouse Platy - male".

Both research and the guy @petsmart mentioned that the betta should be okay with the platy.

However, as soon as they met, my male betta is flaring up chasing the platy only.
I dont think he is actually nipping on platy or anything - just aggressively chasing and flaring.

Its been about 2 hours now that they have been together in the tank along with the tetras and it seems like the betta chasing on platy has stopped and everyone's peaceful.

Is it normal for my male betta to chase the platy and flare for the first hour? I dont want to wake up to a blood-bath tomorrow :(

thanks for any help. :oops:

u998L30.jpg

Your Platty should be fine. Your betta might think it's another betta . If hes still chasing Platty around think about getting some more plants or hiding places. Also your tank is still very new. Just be careful that you don't overstock to quickly. I've fell into the trap of buying to many fish to quickly and ended up with ammonia spikes. So On a happy note good luck and enjoy.

like it was said already add more hiding places will help the platy find refuge till things chill out.

from the sounds of it the beta is showing who's turf it is. once they get things get figured out things should settle down , the beta should have been added last so it had no claims on territory and since it is a more aggressive fish if it was done this way both fish would have been a better experience getting to know one another

Last edited:
Gotta say the tank looks cool and fresh. Yes I used the word fresh.

I have been thinking about rocking it too...

No substrate? ? Is that do able?? I know a lot of the stores get away with it due to sheer volume of filtered water but whether or not a home tank.. Especially a nano could withstand it I don't know... Someone with more experience needs to answer that.

Are platys happy to be without any familiars? ?

Gotta say the tank looks cool and fresh. Yes I used the word fresh.

I have been thinking about rocking it too...

No substrate? ? Is that do able?? I know a lot of the stores get away with it due to sheer volume of filtered water but whether or not a home tank.. Especially a nano could withstand it I don't know... Someone with more experience needs to answer that.

Are platys happy to be without any familiars? ?
Personally I would paint the bottom if I wasn't going to use gravel or sand. You can still get BB collection on decorations and rock.....and the filter media of course so should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom