My Next Substrate - 120g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've gone through a good few substrates for all my planted tanks. I've done;

Fluorite
PFS
"River gravel"
Fluorite sand

All of my tanks are 2-2.4wpg, and they all get the same ferts. But the PFS has won hands down. The Wendtii and Rotala have done extremely well in it. The Melon sword is bright and healthy but doesn't grow much. Anything I plant in that stuff does very well. The problem is, I really don't like the look of it because a day after cleaning, it looks dirty again.

The Fluorite on the other hand... not so much. And it's sharp enough to damage the whiskers on my Hoplo cats, which is why I don't use it any more.

The river gravel was neither here nor there, but the natural look was very nice. Had trouble finding it in the very small variety though.

The fluorite sand - good lord. Never again. Incredibly fine, messy, takes forever to rinse and is ALWAYS in your filter, even after a year. I have a noticeably smaller amount of it in my tank after 12 months because so much of it ends up in the bottom of my canisters each week. And to top it off, while the growth beats the fluorite gravel and river stuff, its' not as good as the PFS. At least it never looks dirty.

When I fertilize I use Flourish and Excel, with Iron and Potassium if some plants look like they need it.

If anyone can recommend something due to a personal experience, please do! I'm hoping to keep the substrate dark to black and smooth and/or small due to my cats, but that's about it. I've heard many mixed things about eco-complete. A lot of people tell me just to go get very fine natural colored gravel, which I'm not opposed to, but I can't seem to find any.

Thanks!

I have a 220 gallon and have an 1-1/2" or organic soil topped with 1-1/2 of Eco-complete. If you go to my post on "DIY Substrate" you can get details. I will tell you I have never had growth with any substrate as I have with this combination. I have stronger lighting, Coralife 72" fixture 3x150 HID metal halide, 4x 39W T5, 6x1W LED lunar light, all on timer but I believe alot of my sucess is due to the nutrient rich substrate.

Forgot, as for ferts I dose PPS-Pro using dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums and use Flourish Excel. For a large tank you will find the dry ferts are much more economical to use.

I've mixed eco-complete with black aquarium safe silica sand(50/50)& my plants do extremely well in this mixture..

Thanks for all the replies!

The DIY stuff sounds pretty sweet. If I have enough time to do something like that as I set it up it's definitely an option.

Y'all using eco-complete, what would you say the 'average' size and shape of a piece of it is?

As for money, it's not really a thing. I'd prefer not to spend excessive amounts on the substrate alone. Last time I messed around with fluorite I think I spent ~$150 and now it's dry in a big bucket in the closet, lol. Eco complete and black sand sounds interesting - I love to watch my hoplo cats dig around in what I have left of the fluorite sand.

Back
Top Bottom