My Oto DISAPPEARED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of the two Otos in my 10g Betta tank disappeared! I'm doing my weekly PWC and sure enough theres only one! No other hiding places except cave and rock... He's not on or in any of them.... Not on any walls, plants or gravel... I have a Topfin 10 filter.. Absolutely no way he got sucked up!

I'm thinking he died and my Betta Jitterbug finished him off?! :-(

Did you check all around the outside of the tank? Otos are not usually jumpers, but I have heard of lots of fish jumping through some pretty tiny openings in tanks.

absolutangel04 said:
Did you check all around the outside of the tank? Otos are not usually jumpers, but I have heard of lots of fish jumping through some pretty tiny openings in tanks.

Oh yea... I have... One side of tank is kitchen sink and counter and other side is living room carpet... Free game for 3 Min Pins, a Puggle & a 10 wk old kitten...

Standard 10g with full hood... Gap for filter is on sink side..

I have had fish disappear over the years, unfortunately it happens. They die and get picked clean before you know it, or jump out, or lord knows what else. I once found the skeleton of a fish buried in the substrate when I was emptying out a tank. I mean it doesn't happen all the time but I am sure anyone who has kept fish for any length of time has had something disappear.

oh just one thing, make sure you test your water for the next few days in case it did die and is decomposing somewhere to watch for an ammonia or nitrite spike.

ashleynicole said:
oh just one thing, make sure you test your water for the next few days in case it did die and is decomposing somewhere to watch for an ammonia or nitrite spike.

There's no chance of it to be able to be decomposing... I did a 75% PWC and vacuumed the thin 1/2" layer of gravel..

otos are famous for disappearing ....If you don't find it in a week then what AshleyNicole said is probably right. Fish will pick on the Dead and will be small enough to get sucked up in the filter.

I just lost my second Oto in my community tank one died one is now missing......They are extremely hard to keep even slight changes will cause them to perish.

They are almost all caught wild and are very stressed, plus you'll never know the age...

Pton46 said:
otos are famous for disappearing ....If you don't find it in a week then what AshleyNicole said is probably right. Fish will pick on the Dead and will be small enough to get sucked up in the filter.

I just lost my second Oto in my community tank one died one is now missing......They are extremely hard to keep even slight changes will cause them to perish.

They are almost all caught wild and are very stressed, plus you'll never know the age...

This all makes sense... This batch of Otos were smaller than my last ones... All had seemed fine until this disappearance.. :-/ I checked filter and filter pad... Nothing... Not even darker colors on it.... My guess is Jitterbug has a field day...
At least he's not bloated...

Sigh... Doesn't end around here ... :)

Back
Top Bottom