My PH refuses to go down any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed, leave the pH alone. pH altering chemicals do not work. They temporarily adjust the pH but eventually it starts a fluctuation. Fluctuating pH causes stress to the fish. If you want to naturally reduce the pH you can use peat moss, RO water, or tons of driftwood. But honestly, 7.6 isn't bad, I'd leave it as is.

A pH change of .6 isn't going to harm the fish. They tell you it must be 7.0 so they can refuse the return if they die. I had a pleco die once and the lfs refused to refund my money because the pH was 7.2 and they said it must be 7.0 for the fish to live. They just didn't want to refund my pleco.

I agree with Fishyfanatic.
Don't play with the pH unless you really have to. The fish do well if it's consistent. Better not to have it bounce up and down like a yo-yo.
Stores that have that return policy generally have lots of problems and need an "out" to stop a large volume of returns. They tell you we know what we are doing, it was your fault. I'm starting to doubt a store clerks ability to spell the word "fish" let alone care for them.

If you really need to change the pH which it seems like you don't really need to. There is always the option to add peat to your filter this will lower the pH how much you need is trial and error really. It's a thing that you have to do really slowly if you have fish.

Well I may try the peat, but I have now found a tiny mystery snail in the tank lol. This may change my approach to the PH thing.

that could be a bit of an issue. but pestore employees have no idea what they are talking about, if you asked them what ph stands for and what it even means they be scratching there heads, they rarely no what they are talking about and alomst always give wrong advice, they are never a good source of information. I have had tons of fish from my LFS and our ph s are always different, and not one of the fish died from ph difference, it is stressful on fish but they will adapt, but imagine the tank your taking them from, its dirty, its cramped, and definately experiences ph swings all the time, in a way your probly saving the fishes lifes by taking them away from the store, even with your ph difference they are definately better off with you than with them.
True True You will be fine. Just acclimate the fish by letting sit in baggie to warm the temp for about 10-15 then add some of your water to the bag let sit for 10 min or so and then scoop em out. I wouldnt dump water from store into your aquarium. This is how I have done it.

7.6 is just fine as stated by the other posters, i would never use the ph adjusters because they mask serious issues in your tank, and thats the last thing you want to do. Fish can adapt to all sorts of conditions, you should only seek adjustment if your water gets to acidic or to basic, unless the fish your keeping prefer it.

This is not strickly true
I have been keeping fish and breeding fish for years and Ph adjusters work just fine for me
I test my water regularly and do water changes weekly,
I also control my waters hardness, and test that weekly,
I have no problem and never have with using ph adjusters

If you want to lowewr ph without using a ph adjuster then add some terracotta pots, they will slowly bring down your ph and stablize it,

If you want to lowewr ph without using a ph adjuster then add some terracotta pots, they will slowly bring down your ph and stablize it,

Unglazed terracotta only please. Quite a few of the glazed types contain lead. Don't want to give the fish lead poisoning. Probably not too good for you either.

Back
Top Bottom