My saltilinity sp? is at 1.021 I've been trying to raise it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought a good way to raise it would be to top off with salt water instead of ro water. Well I've been doing that for about 3 days and it hasn't budged. I'm using premixed salt water not sure of the brand I buy it from the LRS. Why isn't it going up? their mix test 1.21 maybe there is the problem but I thought surely with evaporation it would rise some. Any suggestions are welcome.

Is there some reason you wanted it to be higher? Why don't you buy a bag of salt and raise the salinity of your top off water to about 1.025 before adding it to the tank. I keep our water at 1.025 in both tanks, but I know alot of people prefer 1.021 to 1.023.

Nothing wrong with 21. But your idea will work, just very slowly. Why not stregnthen the mix a bit for top off. Most fish are pretty tolerant to small changes in salt. .01-.02 in a days time probably wouldn't hurt

I was trying to get to 1.023 slowly I've read this is idea. I will just keep at it slowly thank you for the advise.

The problem is, topping off with the same salinity is only gonna raise your tank salinity by like 0.00001 (yes, I made that figure up, but its probably not that far off).

You'll want to use a much saltier top off water to raise SG noticably. However, you shouldn't raise it too fast, particularly if you have inverts in the tank. Something like 0.0001 per day.

Something like 0.0001 per day.

How in the world would you ever be able to accomplish this (especially with the use of a hydrometer)? I could see .001 per day. I think .0001 per day is a little farfetched but I could be wrong. JMHO :D

What are you using to test your water??

I had a Hydrometer that seemed to always read 1.022 even after some significant evaporation. I picked up a Refractometer and found that my salt level was 1.027 (confirmed by LFS with some type of digital meter).

I guess what I am saying is you might want to double check that 1.021 is the true value before trying to raise it.

I'm using a refractometer. I may have my store test it before I add anything else. I don't want to mess anything up.

I'll have to pick up some salt.

Back
Top Bottom