My stocking plans(HELP!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I plan to get a tank between 40g-60g(more likely 40-55g) and stock with
1 Spotted African Leaf fish
1 brown Knife fish
1 Senegal bicher
5-8 of a larger tetra or tiger barb

Is this ok? I've been told yes and yes with caution from pm's...

I was thinking moderately planted,driftwood,rock caves.

Suggestions Please!

I think you've got enough answers in the other treads you've started, and ultimately you're going to do whatever you want with your tanks no matter who says yes or who says no. The only thing I can say is that I strongly advise against getting the 60 gallon tank. Although 5 more gallons than a 55 sounds like a good idea the footprint of the 60g does not fit with the needs of your fish. The 55 would be the best choice out of the three because its 15 more gallons than the 40 and has more turn around space than the 60, which a knife fish desperately needs since they are more rigid than other fish. Weigh your options and in the end please meet or exceed all of your pets needs, because that's what really matters, our enjoyment and amusement must come second to that or else it's just animal cruelty.
Good luck!

Listen to people on here like seriously! And don't fix what isnt broken? It's broken...

Sorry for being so harsh but the attitude you are showing is a am going to do what I want. Petco just wants your money

I'm new myself, but have been doing quite a bit of research lately while I'm on my fishless cycle. It looks like you would be okay as far as not being "overstocked" if you're aiming in the 50-60g range.

If you're thinking about an African Leaf Fish those are often mislabeled and are actually Ctenopoma acutirostre which are a bit different (this is what petsmart and petco have labeled as an African Leaf Fish here). I think an actual African Leaf Fish tends to be difficult to feed anything but live food which may end up being an issue for you if you've already researched that and are cool with it though than that's up to you.

The major problem I think you'll run into is with your Senegal Bichir from what I can tell they're very aggressive and will kill most fish that are used as dithers and even cory cats etc. Again that's all from my own research so someone who may actually keep these guys would be better able to help you out.

EShark83 said:
I'm new myself, but have been doing quite a bit of research lately while I'm on my fishless cycle. It looks like you would be okay as far as not being "overstocked" if you're aiming in the 50-60g range.

If you're thinking about an African Leaf Fish those are often mislabeled and are actually Ctenopoma acutirostre which are a bit different (this is what petsmart and petco have labeled as an African Leaf Fish here). I think an actual African Leaf Fish tends to be difficult to feed anything but live food which may end up being an issue for you if you've already researched that and are cool with it though than that's up to you.

The major problem I think you'll run into is with your Senegal Bichir from what I can tell they're very aggressive and will kill most fish that are used as dithers and even cory cats etc. Again that's all from my own research so someone who may actually keep these guys would be better able to help you out.

Yes Ctenopoma acutirostre is what I'm talking about

bud29 said:
Just a note: African Brown Knifefish cannot tolerate aggressive fish at all, but may eat tetras.

I was planning on tiger barbs would that be fine?

I swear there's already like another two threads about the same proposed stocklist and people have said no it won't work?!

I swear there's already like another two threads about the same proposed stocklist and people have said no it won't work?!

Yup, more than two

Op did you ever rehome your other fish? I thought you did but then I saw your for sale posting for them last night. Just curious

Ok I don't know adout Tig barbs or clown loach but their colors are close so just to help out here a little can he do clown loach?

Yes Ctenopoma acutirostre is what I'm talking about

They are not hard to feed, just use the same food the store uses and make sure they look healthy when you pick them up. Places like pets mart will already have them on pellets and frozen foods. Ask before you buy.

Yup, more than two

Op did you ever rehome your other fish? I thought you did but then I saw your for sale posting for them last night. Just curious

Not yet but there is nothing wrong for now and my LFS is giving me in store credit next week so next week they will be...

FYI all threads were kinda the same but I different stock by 1or 2 fish off so please stick to just answering your self plz...........

Under the be courteous section, bullet 6 it says do not post the same discussion more than once or in more then one forum.

I see it as the same discussion posted three times... Unless I am reading the rule wrong and not understanding it which it could be lol.

Back
Top Bottom