My Sump Designs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Branew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to be building my sump next week. Need to build this one since I bought a new ASM G3 Protein Skimmer last week.

I have a 55 gallon tank I will be using for the sump and have the glass for the baffles already ordered from the LGS (local glass shop).

I am considering 2 designs and am looking for some opinions them and also anything I may have not considered.

Both are very similar, the main difference is in the first section where the water either flows under the first baffle or over it.

Also note that I don't have a need for a fuge section since I already have a separate one in a 20L.

Design #1 (water goes under first baffle)
9358-albums510-picture3535.jpg

Design #2 (water goes over first baffle)
9358-albums510-picture3534.jpg

Thanks!

So...does anyone have an opinion on if I should have the water go under a baffle as in Design #1 or over a Baffle as in Design #2?

I just set mine up and the flow from my tank is pretty heavy. I am putting a plastic cap around the 1 1/4 in pipe return. It will prohibit water from coming out of the sump tank via bubbles and bouncing. My main thing is is your live rock rubble i assume you are putting in the sump. I know many people do it however I have not. The tiny pieces that escape that section can clog your protein skimmer pump or your other pumps. It is said to be better for equipment if you do not have live rock in the sump. As long as you have roughly one pound per gallon maybe a little less if you want or prefer in your main tank... You will be fine with bio filtration. I like the spot of your heater/heaters in the second diagram. I like the water going under the first baffle. Good looking set up.

I was just thinking.. What happens if one of the pumps fail? Won't the sump overflow?

Maybe not..

No think about it this way. Lets say my pump fails. I only have one. The water left in the tank that is above my overflow box will run into the sump and then it will stop when there is no more water above the intake filter. I thought long and hard about how all this works its different in every setup but still pretty simple across the board. I was thinking you shouldnt really do two pumps just get a bigger one and tee off if you want two return lines. This will make for more space and less hassle. But I called them power outage tests when I was filling up my tank I would stop once the water got into the sump and turn my system on. I would see how high the water would get in my sump after it had drained out of my main tank. When the water runs out in my main tank it comes about an inch from the top of my filter.

Ahh ok that makes sense.

I want to build a sump but I don't have room under my stand :(

Well you could route it to one of the sides and put a box stained the same color as your tank over top of it. There are many options Im sure. How much room under your stand ... What size tank is it again? I doubt you will need a 55 gal. A 20 gal long is perfect for anything up to 90 gal.

Well I am planning on getting a 55G and a new stand this summer. Right now I have a 29G and i want to add more water volume to it. Plus I feel like making something. lol. When I get my 55G I'll get a stand with plenty of room for a sump.

In my opinion I would not have a sump bigger than my main tank. If you wanted you could put a refugium in the tank if you want that would be cool.

My water level will be about 5 inches below the top of the sump so I should have plenty of room to hold the overflow if I happen to have a power outage or a pump go out.

I am going to run 2 separate pumps since I already have them. Buying another pump that is big enough would cost another $125+. I jut spent $430 on a HQI/T5 setup and another $300 on a ASM G3 Protein Skimmer. I still need to buy some more live rock and I can only sneak so much past the wife!

Well I am planning on getting a 55G and a new stand this summer. Right now I have a 29G and i want to add more water volume to it. Plus I feel like making something. lol. When I get my 55G I'll get a stand with plenty of room for a sump.

Sounds like you should make your 55g your main tank and the 29 your sump. You may even be able to incorporate a fuge in the 29 depending on your design.

I am basing my sump build on the following thread...
http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

Like I said you wont have to worry as much if one of the pumps goes out the water level wont raise any in the sump. Your turnover rate of water will decrease however water will not fill up in your sump.

Back
Top Bottom