My tank and the 7 plagues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fed-X

Aquarium Advice Newbie
O.k. so I live kind of far from my parents house and have been gone for about three weeks. At last check, everything in my tank was normal. I come back for the weekend and find my tank has turned a brownish-red color! My mom says she has been feeding the fish regularly and they all seem healthy- and oddly she's right. There all ok, and so is the water nitrite levels and all, but the color is attrocious...seen here
img_1101701_0_e2c4244f7fd0bacf23a18b86b851b949.jpg

Even more worrying, however, is this weird object, which has grown on he wall of my tank...anyone know what it is pls and should I remove it?

img_1101701_1_f9993473ade20e81e7e0afc4671fff50.jpg

Sure got me. Never seen anything like this before, and i'm not too sure if that's a sponge. Looks like none i've ever seen.. once again.

What kind of tank is this? Fish only?

How are your lights? Are they causing that weird color?

Fish only tank. The water is whats rly weird to me since the quality all seems to be in order...

In any case, I'm thinking its a sponge too (it has tubual things and the copepods seem to like it) but it has awfully odd placement up on the edge of the water. In any case, Ill see if I can get some more pictures to see if someone can identify it and find out if I should have it removed...

what lights are you running on that tank? Also, your mother might have been grossly over feeding and you have a cyano bloom.

yah...my lighting is very bad...i need larger lights...whats it doing to my tank?..my lights are white and there not causing a tint....the red color is apparent even when the lights are off
also, thx for suggesting cyano bloom... I had nvr heard of that... but what should I do about it just wait it out?

Cut the lights for a few days and cut back on the feeding to every 2nd or third day. Do PWC's 2x a week.Try cleaning the glass and see if it is indeed Reddish color. Use a white rag to see if the red comes off onto the rag.

WOW That's crazy ! ! ! I've never seen that red coloration... I haven't found anything on it. And I think its a cyano bloom also... You work for Fedex ?

Back
Top Bottom