my tank is making my roomates and i deaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nutrak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Why is my fish tank so noisy?

I have a 150 reef with the overflow box in the rear left corner of the tank. the entire living room is filled with the distinct sound of water going down a drain...you know that familiar digesting sound a sink makes after you shut off the water as it goes through the pipes. Well this is deafening. how on earth do i get rid of it? there is like a quarter inch of water in the bottom of the overflow box at any given time...also, under the advice of my peers, there are bioballs in the overflow. tank has been set up for a year now and is doing awesome. please help...im going deaf

Do a search for for Durso standpipe or the stockman pipe. These are 2 types of overflow pipes that can be used to quiet down an overflow. My 75 is pretty quiet and it uses an internal overflow with a Durso. I had a 29 gal using a HOB overflow and never really could silence it.

Good Luck

You can buy a premade dursoe from allglass it is called the mega overflow tube. It works great if you are not a DIY type person. It is all glass PART#29251

That is what I got before I found out you can make them. It was a kit I got at the LFS. It is pretty quiet.

I talked to my lfs without a part number or anything and the guy behind the counter didn't know what I was talking about. He wanted to sell me a corner piece of acrylic with the teeth for $75.

Where do I find that exact kit. Or what do I tell my lfs to find it?

Back
Top Bottom