My Tank!(Newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I been looking on these forums for a bit now since I started my 46 gallon tank and thought I should finally sign up and post it to get some opinions from everyone that actually knows what they are doing!

I had my tank for about a month and a half. What I have in my tank is 3 Tetras, 1 Cory, and 1 Loach right now. I didn't want to over do it since I am new right now and I wanted my tank to do the cycling. I did a 20% water change yesterday and tested the water with API Drop tests today and these are the results:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

My Filter is a Rena XP and my water temp is 78-80F.

Are these okay results for having the tank for about 6 weeks? I have read I am suppose to have Nitrates and no Ammonia but I have no idea whats going on?! Opinions and telling me what to do would be appreciated!! Thank you!

Ammonia is high, do a wc :) you wanna keep it as low as possible... At least .25 ppm ill dig up some links for ya :D

Welcome to AA!

john28 said:
Hello everyone!

I been looking on these forums for a bit now since I started my 46 gallon tank and thought I should finally sign up and post it to get some opinions from everyone that actually knows what they are doing!

I had my tank for about a month and a half. What I have in my tank is 3 Tetras, 1 Cory, and 1 Loach right now. I didn't want to over do it since I am new right now and I wanted my tank to do the cycling. I did a 20% water change yesterday and tested the water with API Drop tests today and these are the results:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

My Filter is a Rena XP and my water temp is 78-80F.

Are these okay results for having the tank for about 6 weeks? I have read I am suppose to have Nitrates and no Ammonia but I have no idea whats going on?! Opinions and telling me what to do would be appreciated!! Thank you!

Have you had all those fish from the beginning of the cycle? Seems to me that is a light bioload for that many gallons (I could be wrong tho lol). Could be the reason the cycle is taking awhile, cycles take awhile in general anyways too tho :)

I like to recommend active media from AngelsPlus.com for fish in cyclers :) I used them for my fish in cycles, they really help jump start things and get the cycle movin. They are cheap and Steve ships super fast!

Once you get your cycle out of the way you should really up the schools of your fish. All the species you have like to have buddies ;) they would really appreciate it!

Here is my fav read on the forum,

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side

And a couple more :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Good luck! Keeps us posted :)

Last edited:
Yeah I had all of them from the beginning. I had the tank run for about 5 days before I bought them though. I didn't want to overstock the tank since I can't get that ammonia down. I will be purchasing the active media you said to get! Hopefully that helps me out a bit!

I guess Ill be doing a 50% water change tonight! lol. Is that a good amount? I read it in that link you posted.

I plan on getting more of those guys so they can be happier but I didn't want to mess my tank up even more lol. Ill keep you posted after the water change! Thank you for the fast reply!

Back
Top Bottom