My tank upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I'm finally taking advantage of petcos sale, and am upgrading my 10g, of 4 platys, to what will either be a 29 or 40B. This thread will be my journey through the upgrade. I'm getting the tank tomorrow. I have one question so far, my filter on my 10 is cycled, so could I bring that over, and combine it with the new filter, to cycle my tank? How long would it take?

Thx
Fishguy1111

Yes, you can put both filters on your new tank to cycle it! Since you are going to have fish already (fish-in cycle I suppose?) just make sure you add new fish VERY slowly, so your BB can build up to the new bio load. But if you have your old media/filter it should still be able to handle the current fish. Hope this helps.

Great thx. Also, if my tap water is very chlorinated and bad, would conditioning it be ok? I'll test it later to post.

So I got the tank, it's a 40 breeder. Will a stand for a 55 work?

google the footprint of each to find out about the stand. Also, yes you should condition your water if there is any chlorine, especially if it's city/rural water and not well water because there could also be chloramines which do not evaporate out and have to be removed with a conditioner.

Can't find a good stand with those dimensions that has cabinets for cheap ... For a filter I'll use a penn plax cascade 500.

As long as the tank fits completely on the top surface and it will take the weight you an put the aquarium on any stand you would like.
Water weighs 8 .32 pounds per gallon + the weight of the tank and substrate.
I have a 30 gallon on the dresser in the bedroom and it holds it fine.

Angel fish should be stocked in odd numbers of three or more.
Other than that it looks like a very nice selection.
You will have to post pics of the finished project. ( I know we are never really finished are we )

That stock is pretty close to mine in terms of number of tetras and bottom feeder and I also have an angel and blue rams. The solitary angel will be fine and it's actually a better option than more. Angels get extremley aggressive with eachother when they reach adulthood it there are not 5+ typically. Just get a small angel and let it grow with the smaller fish and you shouldn't have any problems. Did the same with mine and now it's the size of my hand and won't touch the smallest of my tetras. What size are you going for again? I don't think I saw.

I like that 40B. It is deeper than my 55. Can't wait to see some pics.

yea its also wider than a 55. Ill post a pic, but right now its empty.

Back
Top Bottom