My tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my DIY 70 gallon tank. I have just begun to get it to cycle. What do yall think so far?

ForumRunner_20120702_230614.jpg

I like it. What are you planning for it? What lighting do you have?

Sweeet tank, it looks rimless, acrylic? Are you setting up with a sump?

It is rimless but its made out of glass. I am using a power filter, power heads, and live rock for the filter. Right now I'm not totally sure yet! I really like gobies, so a few of them along with maybe a flame angel, a wrasse and something else

Ive got a flame pretty cool fish, they just say to keep an eye on em in a reeftank. Only problem ive had so far was with an acan, i think the flame was just picking around it though, would just get stressed out so i sold that one. Wrasses are neat fish just need to have a cover of some sort as they can really be jumpers, lost a six line when i first started up.

The lighting is a 4 bulb ho t5! Its around 156 watts! It has two daylight, two actinics, and 6 moonlight led!

Thats good lighting for fish only tank, unless you plan on a predator tank, down the road you might decide to add a few corals?

Oh really??? Would it be bright enough for coral??

Oh really??? Would it be bright enough for coral??
Tank looks good ..
You could easily keep mushrooms and rics under those lights , ,probably zoas and duncans and some colt coral and leathers but an angel will pick those to death ,,i know this from experience...My angels never touched my shrooms or rics though

The only thing you might consider down the road depending on fish load and coral type would maybe a hob skimmer if youre not going with a sump. Something like an aqua c remora pro.. Some times you can find them pretty reasonable on craigslist..just a thought

The only thing you might consider down the road depending on fish load and coral type would maybe a hob skimmer if youre not going with a sump. Something like an aqua c remora pro.. Some times you can find them pretty reasonable on craigslist..just a thought

I would definitely get get a skimmer. I have a Reef Octopus HOB and it's the best piece of filtration I ever bought. Also might want to think about a UV sterilizer.

Alright, ill keep it a fowlr tank for now! Maybe I can get that stuff for Christmas, then I can get coral!

Yea you dont have to rush into it. Just enjoy the hobby , as time goes on you will want to research so many things and youll know when you want to try a couple...remember what they say nothing good happens fast in a .

I agree with you. I have been researching non stop! Maybe one day it will happen

Tipton34 said:
Ya it will just be a fowlr tank!

If you do fowlr then the flame angle is great , I have one in my reef tank and I've seen no picking what so ever , I do watching him eat around my mushrooms and sun coral , he just never seem intreated in them. I love mine , a VERY chilled out fish just swimming about in the current with as little effort as possible.

Tipton34 said:
OK awesome! How hard is coral to keep?

Keeping corals are easier once you figure out how to keep you levels stable ,
softies like mushrooms and Zoa's are "easy ", Those were my first and they survived of normal " lights included "
LPS like hammers and frog spawns would be getting in the " moderate " care since they do need a good light,
SPS like birds nest being the most " difficult" since these require the best of water quality / lighting and a established tank to survive the best ( my tank is 5 months and I still don't want to get sps until I get a good RO unit )

And the you have your sun corals. These are non photosynthetic and require you to feed them at least every 2-3 days some people consider this a pain in the butt , but I like mine and consider it a easy coral to care for ^_^

It all boils down to how much work you willing to do. They will all be harder to keep without a skimmer, a absolute MUST for a reef tank.

I think this is " generally " accurate , I am still new at this ( 6 months ) so if I anyone need correct me on anything please speak up , I am always happy to learn more to keep my tank happy.

Back
Top Bottom